First of the season (for me)

Out early yesterday at dawn, came across a big roebuck with deformed head almost immediately, but we were after smaller fare. As we worked away from him a doe walked passed us about 50 yards away, totally unconcerned, obviously knew it was out of season.

At about 6.30 we spotted two roe chasing each other in a circle about 300 yards away so Stalker John suggested that if we walked through the nearby wood they might eventually join us!.

Got to the far corner of the wood and waited for three roe who normally come out about 7.30, as we waited we looked back and sure enough the two earlier ones were now about 150 yards away browsing down the hedge to the wood. The other three deer now came out along the wood edge - what a choice. We decided that the original two offered the safest chance so I got set up on lowered sticks and in a kneeling position, it took the pair about 25 minutes to get to us but the doe was about 20 yards ahead of the 4 point buck, she knew something was up and began trotting at us, about 20 yards from us she started to move into the field and suddenly winded us, the buck just came on about 60 yards behind and saw her starting to move. John whistled but the buck ignored it, the doe started running and the buck turned to follow when I fired - right into the engine room. He ran straight towards us and tried to jump the dyke in front but crumpled in mid jump to land in the water. I looked at my watch and it was 7.50. I am not sure who stalked who in this case as the doe knew something was odd all the way over the last 100 yards, but it worked out exactly as John had predicted.

post-1165-1207928733_thumb.jpg

Outcome - a nice 4 pointer in velvet, cramp in both legs with kneeling and John had to go into the dyke to retrieve the carcase - but he did capture the whole stalk on video which is excellent.

post-1165-1207928733_thumb.jpg

Archived