Anyone seen any .224 52 A-Max for sale anywhere??

Jamie

As above folks,

I've been phoning around to try and obtain some .224 cal 52 A-Max but had no joy so far...

If anyone does know of any can they pm me with their location, so they don't get snapped up by someone else off the back of my post....

Also posted elsewhere.

Cheers

Jamie

I've pretty much binned any load involving hornady or hodgdon, sick to death of trying to find either of their products. Unfortunately alternatives seem thin on the ground. To answer your question, Derek Lee normally has them in but I'd imagine even that may be a dead end at the moment

Cheers for the reply folks,

Any advice on what else to use as an alternative would be appreciated?

Cheers

Jamie

Amax are far gone :(

I searched for 2 weeks phoned 20 plus shops no joy :(

I did find 500 at a little shop and had the lot :)

Got 600 52gr

And 700 105gr

Just hope they last till things get sorted

Good luck Gaz

Jamie,what are you shooting at?

An 8" gong, if I can find some steel rods to hang them from.

Sorted the chain and links, got a local steel fabricator to sort out the gong and drill the holes.

I want to practice some 200-400 distance shooting before committing to a club membership.

I have 3 boxes of 75 grain A-Max that I've had for a while, but I'd like to keep them until I'm good enough to push them out a bit further...

Jamie

Amax are far gone :(

I searched for 2 weeks phoned 20 plus shops no joy :(

I did find 500 at a little shop and had the lot :)

Got 600 52gr

And 700 105gr

Just hope they last till things get sorted

Good luck Gaz

Lucky for you Gaz!

Are you feeling generous?? :D

Janie,ok so target bullets,rather than varmint.

Try 'road pins' on eg Ebay for suspending gongs (pins are about £1.40 each....).The big gong might need more than two to secure it....

You might want to get a smaller gong too..1moa is a good standard for accuracy (2-4" gongs) for 200y. Bruce Hutton Targets does them in AR4/500 steel,small one about £5-10 ,and delivered next day.

Gbal

Try 'road pins' on eg Ebay for suspending gongs (pins are about £1.40 each....).The big gong might need more than two to secure it....

You might want to get a smaller gong too..1moa is a good standard for accuracy (2-4" gongs) for 200y. Bruce Hutton Targets does them in AR4/500 steel,small one about £5-10 ,and delivered next day.

Gbal

Gbal

They were mentioned to me before, but I thought, due to the weight I'd pay a fortune for delivery.

I'm yet to even try target/gong shooting at 200-400 yet, so I'm very new to the game. My thought on going for the 8" gong was that I could see how far out I was from the bull, albeit, it would perhaps be less challenging and rewarding to hear that gong strike due to being so big? What are your thoughts on that?

Secondly, I've always tried to stick to the same brand, but if the 52 A-Max are unavailable, what would you recommend as a 200-400 yard target bullet, that are along the same price as the 52 A-Max?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Jamie

Ok-Ebay have 10 for £16.95 and free delivery......

Agreed about the instant feedback from hitting a fair sized gong-easier too to get on it,and fine tune your elevation once on.You'll want a smaller one as a challenge sooner or later-and with more than one,you can have different ranges,at same time...more flexibility for not much money.For practice,I would not be too fussy about bullet make,or exact weight,given the shortages for some at the moment.

G

Try 53 or 55 grain VMax mate or even 65/69 SMK's depending on the twist rate on your barrel.

Steve.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I managed to sort a few 100 50 grain V-Max today and a 1kg tub of Vit N133 for use with the 50 grainers as I currently use N135.

Just need to find some established 50 grain/N133 loads now....

Jamie

Thanks for the replies folks.

I managed to sort a few 100 50 grain V-Max today and a 1kg tub of Vit N133 for use with the 50 grainers as I currently use N135.

Just need to find some established 50 grain/N133 loads now....

Jamie

OK why not start with the Vihtavuori load data on their web site/cross check with any recommendations on here.You don't need sizzling hot loads for 2/400 yard gongs,maybe 1/2 g below max in Vihtavuori manual (as ever,check for pressure signs).

G

Apologies, I had a stutter for a mo....

Could mods delete?

Jamie

OK why not start with the Vihtavuori load data on their web site/cross check with any recommendations on here.You don't need sizzling hot loads for 2/400 yard gongs,maybe 1/2 g below max in Vihtavuori manual (as ever,check for pressure signs).

G

Cheers G, will do.

Jamie

A big thank-you to "duey" on this forum who was kind and generous enough to give me a nearly full box of 52 grain A-Max to try out for FREE!

I will try out these bullets with my new brass, to see if I can find a good accurate round for future target use...

And those who tried to profitise out of the situation; shame on you!!

Rare as rocking horse's doo-doos - I found 200 at a local dealer maybe six weeks ago and those were the last he had, haven't seen any since. Similarly I bought 200 69gr SMKs on Monday from HPS Target Rifles, which were the last they had on the shelf. Thanks to our greedy friends across the pond, things are getting pretty tight.

Rare as rocking horse's doo-doos - I found 200 at a local dealer maybe six weeks ago and those were the last he had, haven't seen any since. Similarly I bought 200 69gr SMKs on Monday from HPS Target Rifles, which were the last they had on the shelf. Thanks to our greedy friends across the pond, things are getting pretty tight.

Can't argue with that DW!

Perhaps I'm wrong, but there must be some serious ammo stores all across the USA!!

Jamie

I saw a couple of Americans bragging on another UK-based forum this week about the vast stocks of components they had hoarded - one guy said he had a minimum of thirty pounds of each of the powders he used, several thousand of each bullet type and 50,000+ primers. The other guys claimed to have at least as much. If what I hear from my US friends is correct, we haven't got a hope - thank goodness for Vihtavuori, Lapua, Reload Swiss, RWS etc.

Some bullets seem easier to find than others, but it's a losing battle at present.

I've seen some guys loading rooms in the USA and there's more in them than what would be in a gun shop over here, stocked up to roof hight :(

Gaz

Once the current Paranoia and resulting panic buying/hoarding in the US subsides.

What is the suspected time?

What is the suspected time?

Your guess is as good as mine, but my Former Colonial pals tell me that they expect things to calm down once that famous part-Irish President Mr Barry O'Bammy leaves No.1 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC and American gun owners start to feel less paranoid, but I guess that all depends upon who takes his place, but that's another story.

Archived