chambering problem

Just back in with the Sako Quad .17HMR, last time I used it it was smooth as silk, the gun was cleaned and lightly oiled after use, tonight the bolt is a bit stiff and the rounds only chamber half way in then need a bit of an extra shove/nudge ;) , the cases are showing slight scratch marks on the sides, any ideas????

Is it the same LOT of ammunition? Did you clean all the oil out before using it again? Are all the bolt recesses clean and free of gunk? Does the extractor move freely? ~Andrew

(The trick to oiling: Put it on and then take off as much as you can. It takes very little oil to protect metal.)

Andrew,

Thanks for the response,

It's the same batch of ammo as used before, everything was clean before use, I cleaned the rifle again after I came home and made sure everything is shiny and clean I removed the barrel to make sure I got right in there, the extractor moves freely, I did not strip the bolt though which does feel stiff.

Andrew,

Forgot to mention, the marks on the cases are on one side only, which to me would indicate that the round is being presented to the chamber 'off centre' could this point to a magazine feed problem??

Thanks,

Mark.

Paint a new round with marker pen at the 12 0 clock and load and eject it.

At least then you have more of an idea where the damage is caused.

Is there a bit of jacket material stuck somewhere? my 22 do's this sometimes and just needs a quick clean to sort it.

Will do with the marker pen, I've had the barrel off twice to make sure the chambers clean, no obvious signs of marking or build up of crud/brass etc.

I have now also stripped the Magazine, it's clean and working fine, did notice though that when I loaded it with 5 rounds the first 3 cycle through fairly smoothly the 4th sticks slightly and the 5th sticks a bit more than the 4th.

The rifles only had approx 700 rounds through it and is less than a year old, I don't think the mag spring could be weak already?? though the faults seems to be that the angle the round is presented at is 'off' slightly causing it to rub the chamber mouth as it's presented, when I lie a round on top of the mag as you would when single shot loading it slips into the chamber smooth as silk.

I am not familiar with the sako magazines unfortunately but somebody on here will be ;)

A few ideas,

you haven't dropped the mag have you and bent the top fingers in a bit? Do you know anybody or a shop with one that will let you try another mag?

Do's the magazine parts, spring in particular fit more than one way and the round is cockled on approach? this might explain why its worse with less rounds in.

On my CZ steel mag it do's not like 10 rounds in yet no problem at all with 9.

Magazine has not been dropped or knocked, I stripped the mag and the spring could be fitted reversed it fits into a pre-formed cup type thing.

I will contact the RFD where I bought the rifle and see if they have another mag in to try.

Thanks for all the assistance up to now.

Archived