Scenar meplats

oaken

Hmm. I just bought a new batch and loaded them up for the RRC, to be used after rounds loaded with the old batch. Hope they are the same!

I'm not home to check.

Are they 'standard Scenars' or the improved ScenarL model? Some Ls that I've picked up in both .30 and 6.5mm have rather large meplats which may or may not be related to differences in how the L models are formed.

Laurie, they were bought as standard 155grain/10gram scenars. And knowing where they came from, they would not be selling the "L" for less than £30 despite being repackaged from bulk 1000 packs.

The ones with the tiny meplat were bought several years ago so are almost certainly the standard or should I say pre-date the new version.

I have not shot any yet but think I'll pull my stock of old loaded scenars and start afresh with these new ones as they seem to be all that is available now.

Pete, 155grains = 10grams :-)

Interesting. I suspect that Lapua changed its forming dies when the L was introduced. There has to be a meplat left that's large enough for the nose forming die ejector pin to bear upon the bullet nose and eject it. It may be that Lapua was getting too many bullets stuck in the dies and/or broken pins, so decided to go with an increased meplat diameter. Another possibility is that as part of the 'L' upgrade, greater ogive consistency was obtained with a larger meplat - Berger Hybrids went larger too compared to earlier designs partly for this reason.

I suspect that the ordinary 155 and the 'L' 155 are made on the same dies (there is no discernable difference between them in shape and Lapua quotes the same BCs for both), but that those that go in the L boxes are those batches that have turned out a little better. Just like Eley used to make identical design and production 40gn LRN .22LR target rounds, but they were graded and priced as Tenex, Match or whatever according to how good a production lot was turned out.

Archived