Savage mark 2 .22lr

ChrisP

Hi all,

I've just bought a savage mark 2 in .22lr. It's got a Boyds Stock, glass bedded and what looks like a reasonably heavy barrel.

I'm quite hopeful for some nice accurate shooting from it .....

BUT

I have noticed that the 10rnd mag that came with it rattles around something chronic in the mag well - and I mean really rattles! I've not had chance to shoot it yet so don't know if it has feeding problems that I've read about.

Does anyone have any similar problems? Any way of fixing it??

Mag was the reason I bought a ruger, I was very suprised just how rubbish the savage was!! Maybe somone does a rrplacement ?? Rimfire magic are the people to ask, saying that theu dont deal with savage for presumsbly similar reasons ?

I own a few Savages. In what manner does the magazine 'rattle'? LIke when you shake the rifle?? If so, check to see the mounting screws are correct and that the spring latch is engaging properly.

The accuracy of Savage .22's will stand up to anyone's scrutiny. I have the Mk2 variant with the 'tactical' bolt, accutrigger, and the green Boyds stock. It wil shoot with my CZs and I have out shot my bud's SAKO Finnfire with it at 100M. And I have done nothing to it other than to swab the bore after I brought it home and then mount a scope.~Andrew

Mag was the reason I bought a ruger, I was very suprised just how rubbish the savage was!! Maybe somone does a rrplacement ?? Rimfire magic are the people to ask, saying that theu dont deal with savage for presumsbly similar reasons ?

I agree but they are good value when you take into consideration the price which is $200 in the States!

To the OP I would check as outlined by Andrew the screws at the spring latch and try to fettle it bearing in mind the price point the gun was designed for i.e. a very cheap hunting gun.

Thanks for the info.

The rattling I refer to does happen when you shake the rifle but you can literally hold the magazine and move it side to side. It's a 10rnd mag so I'm wondering if it's a rubbish after market one. I'm certainly not getting rid of it! I'll try the spring catch and screws and a new factory mag!

I agree but they are good value when you take into consideration the price which is $200 in the States!

To the OP I would check as outlined by Andrew the screws at the spring latch and try to fettle it bearing in mind the price point the gun was designed for i.e. a very cheap hunting gun.

And not so cheap. I have wanted the next model up from mine, set up like a tactical rifle with added rails for a light for shooting raccoons at night and (like mine) threaded for a suppressor. I know they make them but I have never seen one in 22LR, only the (dratted) 17HMR. These have a $650 MSRP!~Andrew

Archived