Optics for long range

Raifuru

I am just having a 6.5 x 47 build by Neil and I want a scope that I can use at 100 & 200 yards for load development but suitable for 600-1000 with some precision.

I have had 6-24 Zeiss and 5-30 Swarovski, but would consider these more as hunting scopes. I personally think .25" adjustments too course, so would want a finer adjustment than that.

Budget will be around 2.5k. I have not used a scope beyond 32 mag and wonder (my old air rifle FT days , with cold barrels) if much higher mag is beneficial.

I suppose I am looking at the Kahles 1050(but concerned about the reticule) NF 15-55 (but is 15 mag too high a minimum) Sightron 10-50 (are these a compromise as they are cheaper) March 10-60 Vortex HD 2 5-27.

Does an illuminated reticule help at longer range (800-1000).

From my hunting background I always went for highest quality first (hence concern on sightron) useable reticule as in very fine, illuminated and sensible aim points. I never dialled when hunting so I suppose repeatable adjustments need to be a strong point this time around.

I am just having a 6.5 x 47 build by Neil and I want a scope that I can use at 100 & 200 yards for load development but suitable for 600-1000 with some precision.

I have had 6-24 Zeiss and 5-30 Swarovski, but would consider these more as hunting scopes. I personally think .25" adjustments too course, so would want a finer adjustment than that.

Budget will be around 2.5k. I have not used a scope beyond 32 mag and wonder (my old air rifle FT days , with cold barrels) if much higher mag is beneficial.

I suppose I am looking at the Kahles 1050(but concerned about the reticule) NF 15-55 (but is 15 mag too high a minimum) Sightron 10-50 (are these a compromise as they are cheaper) March 10-60 Vortex HD 2 5-27.

Does an illuminated reticule help at longer range (800-1000).

From my hunting background I always went for highest quality first (hence concern on sightron) useable reticule as in very fine, illuminated and sensible aim points. I never dialled when hunting so I suppose repeatable adjustments need to be a strong point this time around.

Hi R,there was a time when the 12-42 Nightforce was a/the popular long range bench rest (up to 1000y),with some choice of reticule,including a fine one (and illuminated too-but that is not something used-just looses a little fineness,and you won't be shooting in near dark!). It still is,and is good value in comparison to other high end scopes-it's been part of enough record set ups to have real cred.The NSX side ficus is a nice extra if there is to be much to and froing at shorter distances.

The Sightron,at least in S111 8-32,maybe 10-50,has a very good reputation too,and is great value,without much compromise for all but the most discerning users.Once we are into the high price end,there are no doubt excellent scopes,but no doubt too,these will not stay top of the price heap forever-see,eg ,the increase in max mag....probably an asset if/when it can be used,but bear in mind poor visibility and mirage are going to happen-it's not rare for the 42x to be turned down to 30 or so....but if you must buy the most expensive,indulge....

Unless,even if,you are among the very best competitors,I doubt that mega bucks will buy an advantage-wind reading is a great leveler...but you probably are not intending top competition at say 1000y with a 6.5x47-a very fine mid range cartridge,but to even begin to nibble at the heels of a 6.5 284,itself outclassed by newer hot 7s etc,you would need a 142 bullet(BC .565) at 2950fps,and that is quite an ask for the cartridge.Still an excellent choice-but doubtful if it needs the superest scope-even if we accept someone might do.You are absolutely right about the need for precision repeatable dialling,and 1/8 clicks (NF has both).

I'd get a used 12-42 NF,maybe Sightron,and learn about wind,you probably won't ever need anything else,but by then no doubt the current March etc will have been superseded anyhow. Let me be clear,most top end scopes have specifications that are impressive,but precision and accuracy are so vulnerable to wind errors that it is arguable whether much advantage can be had from vey expensive scopes-even if they are brighter etc-and it's subjective--holes in the target don't come from brightness.

No doubt,there will be some varying opinions on this issue-or at least scope make,but as is all too usual,very little hard data-though a troll through the record books and competition results will support the notion that NF have shot many pretty impressive targets.

Gbal

Archived