Is there such a thing as "The Best stock"

I am having a Rem 700 built (satndard SA action with new barrel) and for once I have the opposite problem of too much choice.
I would probably look at a McMillan A5 and the AICS AX as the two starting points. The gun will mainly be used on the range on the bench or prone. I would want to add a magazine.

Is there any accuracy potential lost or gained through either of these and also is there any real benefit over a £200 Choate stock.

I have McMillan hunters on my Sako and love the solidity and weight is of no consiquence.

I am having a Rem 700 built (satndard SA action with new barrel) and for once I have the opposite problem of too much choice.

I would probably look at a McMillan A5 and the AICS AX as the two starting points. The gun will mainly be used on the range on the bench or prone. I would want to add a magazine.

Is there any accuracy potential lost or gained through either of these and also is there any real benefit over a £200 Choate stock.

I have McMillan hunters on my Sako and love the solidity and weight is of no consiquence.

Given that it's a decent make,and has features YOU want-eg flat forend for rest use,can ride a rear bag easily etc--THE most important thing is that you feel comfortable shooting it.Only you can judge that.It can be quite subjecive-but that means objective to you-don't be too seduced by non functional features-it's mainly there to help you shoot better,though you can paint it-try and see is safe advice!

Gbal

With regards to the finished package consider the total cost including what bottom metal you want and what magazine too. How much to mill the stock to fit this, pillar and devcon bed. Then consider whether the AI stock or even an FT or FTR stock comes with all these additional features already built in. I must be quite honest I've been considering swapping my mcmillan htg with fully adjustable check piece for a dolphin guns folding chassis system. I've got a Barnard SM actioned gun and I like the idea of having a chassis that's CNC'ed to the action. That's got to be rock solid and unlike even the best bedded actions will never crack or get damaged over time.

Archived