loading 6mmbr

kindwart

Hi Guys had a problem loading my 6mmbr for the first time, I'm using a Hornaday 6mm neck sizing die that supposed to size all 6mm cases, I set the ie up for depth and de-capping pin to the correct depth ect put the first case in it didnt seem hard on the lever but when I pulled the lever up the de-caping pin was bent 90 degrees and the centre pin was was also bent were the collet screws on retaining the the pin I've loaded thousands of other calibres but never had a pin bend a few have broke

After looking I found the pin was a lot bigger than the hole in the 6mm br case, can you get smaller one or must I buy another die.

Tony

The 6mm BR alongside .220 Russian, the PPCs, 6.5X47 Lapua and .308 Lapua 'Palma' small rifle primer cases uses a smaller diameter flash-hole which is 1.5mm dia (0.059-inch) compared to everything else's 2mm (0.080-inch). Most standard dia decapping pins are ~0.065" diameter and therefore either swage the flash-hole out (bad!), stick in the flash-hole, or bend / break as has happened in your case. You have to get an appropriate small size pin for the die - Hornady does make them.

Incidentally, I don't like the idea of a 'universal sizer', especially for a short case like the BR. This is an extreme precision number - get the best quality die you can, one made specifically for the cartridge.

Hi Tony,

as Laurie's clear description-and prescription!

Accurate Shooter site (was '6mmBR') has some excellent detail on the cartridge(and many others) if you haven't used that site,and advice on equipment-get good 6BR dies if you can.

The 115 DTAC might be getting a bit heavy for the small case 6BR (the improved 'Dasher' might,with 3.5g more capacity-all on the site).Enjoy-6BR is a fine cartridge.

Gbal

Incidentally has any one tried 115Dtacs in a 6mmbr?

John Carmichael, he of HPS-TR Ltd and HPS Target Master ammunition, used 6BR with 115 DTACs for a season of F-Class some years back and had a few reasonable results in the tail end of the pre short magnum days when 6.5-284 was still the baseline cartridge. He got them up to some impressive velocity using compressed loads of Viht N550 in a very long-throated chamber and 32-inch barrel. It's not a prescription that I'd recommend others try, and I'm pretty sure John would say the same thing - this was extreme handloading by a professional in the field with the facilities to test his results very thoroughly.

As gbal says, the DTAC is really too much bullet for the little BR case. Anyway, since that time, the 115gn DTAC has mostly gone out of favour amongst 6mm aficionados even when loading the next size up of cartridges with larger capacity cases, numbers like 6X47L, 6mm Swiss Match, and 6XC. The evidence is that the loss of velocity over 105gn VLDs is such that it outweighs any benefit from the extra weight. The DTAC's BC was class leading when introduced, but improvements in 105s have rather marginalised it. The Berger 108gn LR BT has a G7 BC of 0.262, and the new 105gn Hybrid runs at 0.278. Litz gives the 115gn DTAC an average G7 BC of 0.276. That's not to say it's not a very good bullet for many purposes though.

Thanks for the help guys I see what you mean about getting good dies I have a universal bullet seater as well. I've got some 115 bergers but I dont think I'll use them ! have also acquired some scenar 105 grn a couple hundred 105 Amax and some 90grn scenars all these I've got from friends but when there all gone I'll get some 108 grn Sierra's and use them, as Kranks got them advertised at a good price for 500. Its a new barrel and its only done 60 rounds that my mate loaded for me, could any one tell me how many rounds it will take to shoot it in, its a Bartline 5R 1 in 8 twist, I've done the shoot 1 and clean shoot 5 and clean process now I shoot 10 and 2 as per normal target shooting.

Regards

Tony

Tony,

You should do well with the 90-108g Sierra/lapua/berger bullets.

A I/8 will shoot lighter bullets very well-68g bench rest bergers,eg.But they do begin to run out at longer distances (500Y +) and that is where the heavier bullets shine,especially in wind.VLDs have something of a reputation for being fiddly to get optimum seating depth-Berger acknowledge,and hybrid looks to be a good solution....

The Sinclair International catalog/site has lots of goodies,some wll worth having,if you haven't accessed it-the 6BR deserves good dies-Wilson (arbor press,but somehow very satisfying to use),Redding (bushing?) or Forster-worth a bit more for the feeling-and reality-that you have made the best ammo you can.You will probably need to bump the shoulders at some time-redding body die is one option,rather than a full length resizer,which you won't need every reload.(wilson is neck only).

Your shooting in regime is fine-I would not go beyond 100 rounds,but it does no harm to just run a patch or two through the bore if you are shooting long strings.6BR is pretty easy on barrels,3-4K?

What's not to like!

Gbal

Archived