Accurizing old Sako M591

Ok, so it isn't broke, but I do like fixing things, so...

Should I bed it?

Is it normal for the bottom metal to contact the trigger assembly and 'rock' a tiny bit?

:)

Er,,, no

pillar bed it

Accuracy will improve

Yes bed it as Ronin points out free float the barrel if there is any contact forward of the action , I tend to bed forward of the action 3/4 of an inch because the factory stocks can flex a bit and also the actions will move in the factory stocks. this will stop contact points changing as you shoot , which will go largely un noticed when your looking down the scope

The older Sako actions A2, M591 are great to work with very accurate and better constructed than the latter models . are you going to rebarrel your action ? .

If so you will be pleased with the results they rebarrel very accurately and just plain shoot.

measure the tolerance's and there very good compared to the later models.

cheap to pick up second hand and will match a custom action out to and beyond 800 yrds

In short you will have a match grade shooter with the right work done to it for nothing much at all .

Thanks!

There is already a small area if bedding supporting the first inch or so of the barrel as it leaves the action - is this factory or previous owner?

Very neatly done in a fetching grey colour :)

Swamp Donkey - what did you use for pillars? I have access to cnc lathes etc through work, but if there is something off the shelf ad it were, I'd go for speed and convenience!

Are there any aftermarket stock makers who make stocks suitable for large scale hacking about? The lathes live with cnc mills, so there is a possible option of machining a bed with pillars from billet, that could be fitted into a stock...probably a stage 2 project, but not massivly complicated. There is a quality control probe thing that takes silly accurate 3d images of things, so mapping the action to make a negative route wouldn't be terribly hard.

I think I used part of an old barrel if my aging memory serves me well, so, it could have been anything to be honest :/

I still have one in .308 that's going to be treated to a new(er) barrel soon, not because it shoots bad, just to save throwing away a perfectly good barrel that's coming off another for a caliber change.

I'm pretty sure joe west said he can do a stock for one, just send the old one to copy the inlet. But if you have that gear, just get a non inlet stock from him, then you are sorted.

Archived