Nite Tec nt300 digital add on review

dylan5588

Hi Guys, firstly forgive any bad punctuation and grammar, secondly, I have no vested interest in the sales of this unit, I just wanted to try and give an honest, un biased opinion so you "know whats out there".
After a few hours out in the field spotting and getting used to the unit, I must say I am very impressed with its performance.
THE UNITS CONTROLS AND PERFORMANCE: It has a charger/video out port and screen dimmer located on the front of the battery housing, a push button on/off switch underneath, and a fine focus ring on the near eye screen housing, it comes with a removable soft rubber eye piece, and battery charger, With the screen dimmer on medium brightness the battery, from a full charge gave 2hrs 42mins of run time.
The unit is compact and is mounted using a DSA, I used a Pulsar challenger dsa, but the Cobra Merlin dsa is also compatible. Using the challenger dsa, the screen is 4.5" from the back of the scope, so only extends normal eye relief by between 1/2"-1", It can be mounted with the battery on the left, right, or vertically, however if mounted vertically it gives a "portrait" view of the rectangular screen and although not as high as a Ward d vision or an Arrow, the height does impede the wearing of a peaked cap slightly when in the vertical position,
I used the unit on a Hawke Eclipse 30 4-16x50 sidewheel scope and a nightmaster nm800ir for illumination, After adjustment of the ocular on the scope to bring the reticule into focus, and adjusting the screen brightness to suit my "eye light tolerance" no further adjustments were needed during use, except to use the scopes objective focus on different distances.I found that using the nm800 I needed low power for up to about 50yds, med power from 50-175yds and high power above 175yds, high power on a tight focus was enough to get out to 350yds on 10x magnification, With these settings I clearly observed rabbits out to 200yds and could identify their ears and which way they were facing etc, Two foxes were observed, the first at 225yds, clearly enough to see the black tip of its brush, The second at 340yds, It was still clearly identifiable as a fox, I am confident that with good visability you could confidently shoot a fox at 300yds. I think if you had a nm800 with a 66mm lens or similar, higher magnification could be used.
At present 3 models are on offer, nt120, nt200 and nt300, the numbers relate to conservative "seeing" ranges, I cannot comment on the two lower models but if my 300 model is used as a guide, I would say they are shootable ranges. Prices (pre vat registration) are as follows: £475 for the nt120 and nt200, £575 for the nt300. The difference between the 120 and 200, is the 120 has the camera set in manual gain for better picture quality, and the 200 is in auto gain for added distance,and the nt 300 has a higher resolution near eye display.
There is footage of the nt300 on "marky610" on utube, but it is not representative of what you see through the unit, a lot of the resolution and clarity must have been lost in filming and during upload.
I have tried to upload some pics but I don't seem to be able to, I could email them if you want,or maybe one of you could add them for me?
Anyone in my area who would like to have a look and a play, pm me I am sure I could arrange it.
Regards Adrian

Cheers for that big help ;)

Gaz

One thing is it easy to spot a fox coming the connect to the scope for the shot ?

Cheers for that big help ;)

Gaz

One thing is it easy to spot a fox coming the connect to the scope for the shot ?

It takes 5 seconds to connect to the scope with a challenger dsa, if you have the screw end on the unit and the sprung lever end for the scope attachment. that way round you can leave the dsa on the unit and have the illuminator mounted on the dsa as well.

Ok cheers, I'm after something to go on my night force scopes it does sound good, I want to be able to spot with it then when I see a fox coming flick it on the scope ready for the shot.

Gaz

Ok cheers, I'm after something to go on my night force scopes it does sound good, I want to be able to spot with it then when I see a fox coming flick it on the scope ready for the shot.

Gaz

I have just had a little look through it not attached to the scope, only being 1x mag, it gathers a lot of ir light and the picture is overly bright and not very clear . I cant say how well it would work with a non parallax adjustable scope either.

I have just had a little look through it not attached to the scope, only being 1x mag, it gathers a lot of ir light and the picture is overly bright and not very clear . I cant say how well it would work with a non parallax adjustable scope either.

Have borrowed a fixed focus scope and tried it out with the nt300, it seems to work ok,

Aj

Archived