powder

tony

I can't find the original post that Lawrie did regarding alternative powders for the 6.5x47...no varget available.

Was it Lovex or something else, I don't remember? I am aware of Re15, Re17, H4350 and the Vhint range.

Thanks guys, Tony.

I tried SO65 with the 123gn Sierra MK on Thursday - a bit disappointing, no really tight 3-shot groups across a large charge weight range. These same bullets group into 0.3" with 5-shot groups at 100 using my 'usual' Viht N150, so the barrel likes them OK.

I will try IMR-4007 SSC, Re15, Lovex SO70 (Accurate 4350 as used to be), Ramshot Big Game and Wild Boar, and some IMR powders over the coming weeks. The word I'm getting from some sources in the trade is that Hodgdon powders will be in short supply this year and that the IMR equivalent should be considered where applicable as they'll be more plentiful. Varget is the problem though for those who must have it as there is no IMR equivalent.

FWIW, I've yet to find anything better than Viht N150 in my rifle with 123s. Vince B. (The Gun Pimp) is a fan of N550 in this and similar cartridges with this weight bullet, but I get all the velocity I want with the plain version and prefer to avoid high pressure loads with high-energy powders. Hannams Reloading was waiting on a large Viht delivery the last time I spoke to Pat Hannam which should either be with her now or arriving soon.

Thanks for the valuable information Laurie, I see you like the sierras, I am using 123 scenars so may well try Viht N150, what starting load do you reckon I should try with this powder or would you say its about on par with varget? I also don't like hot loads.

Many thanks, Tony.

I tried SO65 with the 123gn Sierra MK on Thursday - a bit disappointing, no really tight 3-shot groups across a large charge weight range. These same bullets group into 0.3" with 5-shot groups at 100 using my 'usual' Viht N150, so the barrel likes them OK.

I will try IMR-4007 SSC, Re15, Lovex SO70 (Accurate 4350 as used to be), Ramshot Big Game and Wild Boar, and some IMR powders over the coming weeks. The word I'm getting from some sources in the trade is that Hodgdon powders will be in short supply this year and that the IMR equivalent should be considered where applicable as they'll be more plentiful. Varget is the problem though for those who must have it as there is no IMR equivalent.

FWIW, I've yet to find anything better than Viht N150 in my rifle with 123s. Vince B. (The Gun Pimp) is a fan of N550 in this and similar cartridges with this weight bullet, but I get all the velocity I want with the plain version and prefer to avoid high pressure loads with high-energy powders. Hannams Reloading was waiting on a large Viht delivery the last time I spoke to Pat Hannam which should either be with her now or arriving soon.

The delivery was imminent when I spoke to them Thursday, should have lots of N150 hopefully as I'm totally out. No N160 though which is a real pain.

Thanks for the valuable information Laurie, I see you like the sierras, I am using 123 scenars so may well try Viht N150, what starting load do you reckon I should try with this powder or would you say its about on par with varget? I also don't like hot loads.

Many thanks, Tony.

Viht lists its starting and max charges as 33.2gn and 37.8gn for the 123gn Scenar. I'd say that as usual with Viht data, it's on the low side so suggest starting at around 35gn, going up to 37.5gn in coarse steps, and then seeing where you can get with small increases above that. Remember that this is a pretty small case so even 0.2/0.3gn increases have quite large effects when you're approaching maximum loads.

The N150 weights I'm running need a bit of drop tube length on the powder funnel and a slow pour rate at an angle to get it to swirl around the funnel rim before running into the case.

Archived