Remington PSS Stock Option?

Looking for knowledge for those that might know.

I have a PSS in 223 and am looking to get a new stock for it. As far as I am aware these are bedded on an Aluminium block. Does this affect bedding in other stocks available for the Remington short action?

Thanks in adavance for any help or light shed on this.

Goop.

Goop,

As far as I can remember the PSS stock is an HS precision item that has an aluminium back bone running through it. This along with a better shape is the advantage over the standard Rem stock offerings.

It is not actually 'bedded' just has a better 'bedding' system. Bedding normally relates to some form of 'glue' or filler being applied between the metalwork of the action/chamber end of barrel and the stock to give a real good fit.

The PSS stock does not have this so in answer to your question - you should be able to drop your barrelled action into any stock that has an inlet for a short action Remingtom 700 or its clone.

Hope this makes sense?

Terry

The HS Precision on your PSS is not a bad stock at all but a proper bedding job and the addition of a DBM are worthwhile upgrades. However your better off going with any number of chassis type stocks (AICS, Third Eye, XLR, Dolphin etc) just to drop your action into and sell the HS on. The other option is a Manners or McMillan but you would need to bed these to your action.

forbie,

The HS Precision stock is pretty good as it stands. If I had one as the basis of a rifle build I'd be upgrading all the other stuff first and the stock last. Actually I'm speaking from experience here cos I have a PSS in 223 and had a 700 heavy barrel 308 which I fitted a take-off PSS stock onto. I sold on the 308 to build a custom rifle on a McMillan HTG with pillars and devcon bedded. It has an optional adjustable check piece & QR sling swivels. I like the mcmillan but if I was doing the same build again I'd get a new bottom metal fitted on the HS Prec that takes AI magazine (Not an HS Prec bottom metal cos it's so difficult to get spare mags for them) & I'd get it hydrographics painted something pretty in camo.. Now, as I said, it would be the last thing I'd touch.

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that you're on some sort of upgrade programme, if so I'd upgrade trigger first, a Jewel is perfect (if got 3 & wouldn't fit anything else), then barrel, make sure your optics & mountings system are adequate, then moderator & bipod & then start worrying about your stock.

Archived