probably been done to death but i find no matter how i clean my barrel the bronze bristle brush always fetches more dirt out.would like to hear peoples views for and against bronze brushes.

i use butches bore shine or shooters choice with a bronze brush and butches oil down the barrel after.

mike

This is my method. Shoot as many rounds as possible. Put gun away in safe. Take out gun and shoot some more. Repeat until accuracy drops off. Use a mild solvent to remove a small amount of fouling and repeat. I don't use brushes and don't see the need to get a barrel completely clean.

Two examples - my AI AX is still shooting sub half MOA after 300 rounds without cleaning. I recently shot a 0.188" group with my .308 also after 250 rounds including filthy tracer and mil surp and its still holding less then 1/2" MOA verticle out to 900 yards when I shot on Saturday. Shoot more clean less.

I like to use nylon brushes and the vfg felts. I use the felts to apply c2r and give the barrel a good scrub with as well. It's then left and is then scrubbed again with positive proof nylon brushes before being patched out

This is my method. Shoot as many rounds as possible. Put gun away in safe. Take out gun and shoot some more. Repeat until accuracy drops off. Use a mild solvent to remove a small amount of fouling and repeat. I don't use brushes and don't see the need to get a barrel completely clean.

Two examples - my AI AX is still shooting sub half MOA after 300 rounds without cleaning. I recently shot a 0.188" group with my .308 also after 250 rounds including filthy tracer and mil surp and its still holding less then 1/2" MOA verticle out to 900 yards when I shot on Saturday. Shoot more clean less.

do you not worry about corosion in the rifling?can't argue with your accuracy mind.

do you not worry about corosion in the rifling?can't argue with your accuracy mind.

I like to use nylon brushes and the vfg felts. I use the felts to apply c2r and give the barrel a good scrub with as well. It's then left and is then scrubbed again with positive proof nylon brushes before being patched out

when i have used nylon brushes till a clean patch comes out i can get a black patch out again with a bronze brush.

just carbon remover 2-3 wet patches of that, ill leave 30mins -1 hour and patch till dry or forrest bore foam and 3 dry patches if i think it needs it, only seen one tinge of blue and that was the first time i got the barrel back from the proof house..

i always put a mop in the chamber though, i like that clean and free of crap.

tony

do you not worry about corrosion in the rifling?can't argue with your accuracy mind.

when i have used nylon brushes till a clean patch comes out i can get a black patch out again with a bronze brush.

I use bronze and Hoppes number 9.

I tried a nylon brush and it was rubbish.

i just worry that the bronze brush aids barrel wear n tear

just carbon remover 2-3 wet patches of that, ill leave 30mins -1 hour and patch till dry or forest bore foam and 3 dry patches if i think it needs it, only seen one tinge of blue and that was the first time i got the barrel back from the proof house..

i always a mop in the chamber though, i like that clean and free of crap.

tony

forrest bore foam is useless imop unless the first 5 shots from new and then i leave it to soak.

If you're using a copper remover with your bronze brush have you thought that the dirt could be your brush?

As long as you use a quality brush and not a steel twist type you would need to be very aggressive to damage the barrel, and of course a coated rod.

Not at all, I shoot them out before they get a chance :D

nutter

If you're using a copper remover with your bronze brush have you thought that the dirt could be your brush?

As long as you use a quality brush and not a steel twist type you would need to be very aggressive to damage the barrel, and of course a coated rod.

were talking black dirt not copper blue and my brushes go straight in hot water for a clean straight after use or a 22 cal brush becomes a 20 cal brush after one outing.

Use a bullet to clean the bore? :)

Squirt of gun cleaner, 2-3 passes with bore snake or the like, good to go.

Back on topic...I tried a bronze brush I've had knockiung about un-used yesterday after shooting cheap milsurp all day at Bisley, and it felt awefully violent towards the gun, but got is shiny clean.

I do lean towards the seasoned barrel side of things though as I want the gun to shoot next time as it did last time, so unless it is starting to pattern rather than group, I'll just look to keep it from rusting rather than trying to remove copper. Seems to work ok for me.

Archived