I was out this morning at 6am even though it was a bit blustery to try for a doe on a piece I havent stalked since the buck season. The cull on this piece of ground is only small , 2 bucks and 2 does per year. I only shot 1 buck and havent culled a doe yet so this morning was a last ditch effort to get one.

I stalked along the top of a bank whick looks into the woodland below and spied 3 roe . I could only make out that one was a young buck. The deer were on the move and I knew they had to cross a small field round the corner , so I got myself ready for an ambush and sure enough the 3 roe came into view . A mature doe and 2 buck kids. I took the doe , the youngsters just hung around for a little while but I have them ear marked for culling in a couple of weeks.

doe002Small.jpg

Hi Barry , I cant wait for the buck season to start mate. I could easily have shot both the buck kids but to tell you the truth I couldnt be arsed to carry them. Anyway when I go stalking there in early April I know that there is something to cull. Probably never see them again though ;)

Have you got many bucks showing at the minute ??

Archived