Advice please on New 223

Gladiator001

Hi Guys!

I have a shot out 1 in 12 223 Sako HB 75 varmint and am looking to rebarrel or px for fast twist so I can shoot long range to 500 yards plus.

On a limited budget so would be grateful for any advice as to what I could consider - rebarrel or trade in for say a new Sako 75? or 85? Steyr,Howa,CZ??. Any info appreciated.

Home loading at present so be as technical as you like.

Regards

Gladiator

I`d certainly look to keep the 75 action which is far superior quality wise to a newer 85 and look to re barrel if I were you.The difference that you`d have to put to the PX for an 85 wouldn`t be far off what you could get a custom barrel for and would definately outshoot any factory stick.

The Howas are worth a look if you decide to swap completely but they aren`t the quality of the Sako you`ve got

Give Col48 a PM on here and he can give you some figures

Guest varmartin

I thought all the Sako 75 H/B varmints were 1-8 twist ???

Any way, a re barrel is the way to go.

Lots of options....Pacnor, Archer barrel from border or a top end from Krieger ??

1-8 and throated for either 75 Amax or 75 Berger VLD should be sweeeeet.

Some top blokes on here could do it for you too.

Hi Guys!

I have a shot out 1 in 12 223 Sako HB 75 varmint and am looking to rebarrel or px for fast twist so I can shoot long range to 500 yards plus.

On a limited budget so would be grateful for any advice as to what I could consider - rebarrel or trade in for say a new Sako 75? or 85? Steyr,Howa,CZ??. Any info appreciated.

Home loading at present so be as technical as you like.

Regards

Gladiator

You don't say whether it's target or live quarry at 500yds plus. Targets at that range are challenging with .223, 1 in 8 twist and A-max 75, the amount of elevation you have to wind on usually has you very near the limit on the scope's turret. easily fixed with 20moa mounting rail.

For live quarry I'd suggest something with a little more legs ,.22/250, 6mm, 6.5mm or other preferred cals. out of respect for your quarry. This reply will probably get me flamed from the .204 boys , but the next cal. for long range vermin that I shall have built will be 6mm BR.

I shoot a lot of vermin with .223 but when long range foxing at night [out to around 300yds with amber filter] I take my .243 for obvious reasons.

Pete.

Guest varmartin

I feel it is not necessary to have a 20 MOA rail on a .223 / 75 Amax combo.@500yards plus shooting.

My Sako 75 1-8 twist loaded with 75 Amax @2950 only req`s 9.5 MOA to get to 500 yards and still has over 630 ft-lbs of energy.

On a still day it will stretch way beyond 800 yards ( 21.5 MOA ) and still hit football sized rocks.

I feel it is not necessary to have a 20 MOA rail on a .223 / 75 Amax combo.@500yards plus shooting.

My Sako 75 1-8 twist loaded with 75 Amax @2950 only req`s 9.5 MOA to get to 500 yards and still has over 630 ft-lbs of energy.

On a still day it will stretch way beyond 800 yards ( 21.5 MOA ) and still hit football sized rocks.

Hi Martin, if you are using a 1" tube and hunting turrets it's easy to have a scope wound up close to it's limits as I have found to my cost, that's why I'm changing my scopes to 30mm tubes. I've shot at 900yds with the very scope you sold me and ran out of elevation long before I found my way onto the target even with 45moa dialled on with .223 1-8 twist and A-max 75's. In my opinion a 20moa rail would have helped me acheive target without resorting to holdover. What I was suggesting would help to keep the reticle nearer the center of the scope, not that 500yard shots cannot be acheived with zero moa mounted scopes using that bullet, rifletwist, caliber combination.

Pete.

Guest varmartin

Hi Pete, what velocity are you pushing your 75 Amax at ??

45 MOA should get you out to 1180 yards by my Exbal program @ 2950 fps.

( I just realised .....are you talking about your black rifle ?? then I would imagine your velocities to be lower then ?? )

Totally agree with you regarding a 20 MOA rail for long range ( 900 yards and beyond ) it makes perfect sence to be looking thru the centre of the scope tube at that range.

Regards

Hi Pete, what velocity are you pushing your 75 Amax at ??

45 MOA should get you out to 1180 yards by my Exbal program @ 2950 fps.

( I just realised .....are you talking about your black rifle ?? then I would imagine your velocities to be lower then ?? )

Totally agree with you regarding a 20 MOA rail for long range ( 900 yards and beyond ) it makes perfect sence to be looking thru the centre of the scope tube at that range.

Regards

Yes Martin ,it is the dark one I've been using recently, velocities have dropped considerably with the 20" tube up front, around 2600fps, still you can only piss with the cock you've got, so it has brought a total rethink on long range shooting with .223 for the moment.

The trajectory with this bullet weight is very similar to .308 so I have a base to start from.

Have to admit to being a convert to Exbal and Chris set me up a couple of months ago on my .243 but weather and time have not allowed me to practise enough to use with confidence yet. Most of my foxing at this time of year is of the point and squirt variety as we are seeing very few at the moment.

The hunt came on the estate last week and failed to flush a single fox , the deer initiative came with their £42000!!! N/V equipment the other night which according to them has over 2000yds capability and they only recorded two sightings on fox and 29 fallow on 4000+ acres of mixed woodland/arable so I'd say we are pretty much on top of things so my long range shooting for the moment is all on inanimate targets, roll on the longer avenings.

Pete

Archived