Fastest .22CF

the 125g NBT is showing promise at 2950fps from the rum , 3" MPBR gives 346m with a 3.82'' drift in a 10mph full value wind ?

I wonder what a 52g amax 223 bullet would do in a sabot in my 300rum (apart from not shoot for toffee) ? just checked at 5000fps and it still only makes 377m :angry:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gbal , You shoot foxes with a 500 yard zero on your rifle ? :lol:

Sorry,not foxes-gongs.As implied in the posts,wind judgement errors alone make ethical shots at sentient targets a non starter at such distances,and that the MPBR with fairly extreme 22/similar ballistics (243 gives 55 @ 3900) is going to be more like 350 y;and as Tacb suggests with projected 55g at 5000fps just about making 400y 'in theory'.

Gbal

Whats the fastest .22CF available? Wildcats inc. I shoot a swift at the moment and have had a 22.250 AI But may fancy something else barrel life is not really important. I want the flatest calibre out there. We are shooting an estate where all the dull foxes have been shot and now are left the wild old sods, Shots are now quite often 300 yard or so. While the swift is superb would like something point and shoot out 350 or so if possible. What your thoughts?

cheers Sean

Once upon a time, I had an Ackley Improved .220 Swift.

With a 30" barrel, it could launch 80gr Bergers to 3,600fps

It had a short and unhappy life.

I flogged it to a guy who used 55grainers in it to reach 4,300fps - and complained about them blowing up.

Another daft idea chalked up to experience.

Well anyone shooting an 80g Berger should have a twist rate of 1 in 7.7 or 8 so to go to 55gers at 4,300 ft/sec without changing the barrel would rip the jackets off the bullets .

OSOK

Re experience,reinventing the mistake,twists and velocity:

In his wonderful book,"22 caliber varmint rifles",1947,CS Landis cautions this : "Remember,the .220 Swift sometimes turns it's bullets into spray".

He also comments,cautiously,on a few claimed long range wildcat 'hits',that some were perhaps "accidental".

I have seen bullet disintegration-about 75 y downrange with both the 17 Rem and 257 Weatherby Mag,both with bullets appropriate to twist,but at 'higher than usual ' velocities (and apparently no pressure signs. Or perhaps 'no other pressure signs'.....?)

A few keyholes probably from too slow twists/velocity?

Gbal

I built a 220 Swift AI for a chap using a 8 twist barrel a couple of years ago, who professed to drive 75 g A max at 3500 +

I imagine barrel life was quite short.

Archived