New moderator for 17 Rem (and kit rationalisation)

Well, after being seduced by Sir slots a lot and Si Snipes long range videos I rebarreled my 222 to 17 Rem. I ordered a stainless LW barrel 24" with 1-9" twist to handle those wonderful 25 grs V Max and their awesome BC. As I was going to be taking out crows from several fields away I upgraded my Zenith 3-12x50 to a Zeiss 6-24x56FL. Excellent......Two winters down the line I have had a reality check and have rationalised my kit to more suit my shooting.

First to go was the Zeiss 6-24. My average shots on foxes were well under 150m.

I replaced this with a Zeiss HT 3-12x56 (which I was planning on buying until I watched too many Youtube clips)

The V Maxes never left their box. I planned to use one bullet a year to compare results. So far it has been the Hornady HP and the Berger MEF(both 25grs and perfect for a 1-10" twist)

Now with one of my bait sites at 45m and another at 100m the 24" barrel and Jet z seem overly long and unwieldy for shooting from a hide.

So my last attempt to create my perfect fox/corvid rifle will involve shortening the barrel to 20-21" and fitting a 17 cal dedicated moderator instead of the Jet Z CQB (which can in theory take a 6mm bullet).

Seen as I live in Norway and we have some excellent moderator manafacturers I decided to use a local product. Lots of people have heard of A-Tec, but Hausken (pronounced How Sken) have been producing moderators since 1992. After a dialogue with the owners I ordered a SD 228 in 17 calibre.This is a design that builds 88mm to the rear of the muzzle and adds 140mm in front of the muzzle. It is made from anodised aluminium. I received it the other day and am very happy with the looks and build quality. I will be fitting it on my rifle after the winters foxing is complete and will report back how it compares to the Jet Z. (Seen as alot of my foxing is in close proximity of houses I wanted a moderator that would be more effective).

20140210_125705_zpse61d2efe.jpg

As it comes from the box

20140210_130315_zps068a9b68.jpg

Compared to my other moderators from top to bottom

Hausken SD 228, A-Tec Maxim, ASE Utra Jet Z CQB and BR Reflex T8

Toby-thats a nice looking mod -i have a cqb on my .17rem and use it on my .17fb it balances the rifle s nicely.what does the hausken weigh?as for the 25vmaxs i could not get them to shoot in either rifle so use the trusted 20vmax in the rem and 25gn mef bergers in the fb.post some piccies of your rifle.cheers

The SD228 weighs 480 g in aluminium and just under 500g in titanium. They have also just launched a new range of ultra lightweight mods with class leading decibel reduction.

Here is a pic of my 17 Rem during barrel break in with the Zeiss 6-24 FL

DSC01451.jpg

Here again but with Zeiss HT 3-12

20131123_133108_zpsd877e83f.jpeg

Archived