new to long range at Bisley

Hi all

Im wanting to learn the secrets of 600 & 1000 yrd target.

Im ok for loading and can get on the 600 ok.

Im a member of the NRA and have shot Bisley for about 20 years with an out side club.

This is a new thing that I thought might stretch me a lot more.

Now what is the best way to go about this?

I have be advised to join the Nra shooting club as the members are well adverse with this discipline and are a great source of learning.

I hope to end up competing if im good enough.

Has anybody got any ideas on this.

Thanks

Kind Rgds

V

Ps im using a 7mm Shehane

There's a f class course at Bisley on the 21 22 23 February. Might be space left, if interested google gbf class.

Thanks very much for that will have a look.

Regards

v

if i were you, i'd find someone who shoots at 1000 a bit and go and book an electronic target with them and have a go. if you can get on at 600 then you should be able to work out your come-ups to 1k. get a plotting sheet for the target too so you can work out your windage minutes etc. also pick a fairly calm day for your fist go. i know a lot of people who plot every shot they ever took over their entire shooting career which they find useful. i never bothered.

depending on who you speak to, people will fill your head with all sorts of different ideas, experiences and notions that they all hold to be absolutely true. my experiences of long range target shooting is that there are a lot of people who know bits and bobs of good info but they also hold a lot of rubbish information to be true.... be wary of what you believe and adopt as your methodologies. just because someone has been loading and shooting targets for 20 plus years, doesn't mean they actually understand what they are doing to any great degree. make your own mind up about things and try and make informed choices. read as much as you possibly can, there are a lot of good books and web articles out there. knowledge is key.

if you want to compete, and by compete i mean be competitive, you need a rifle that throws high bc bullets out as fast and as accurately as possible with a load that has the lowest extreme spread you can manage in a load. you also need to be able to pick up on what the wind is doing from the first shot. over the course of a competition, most people will have a detail that is a train wreck and this tends to knacker their score. the trick to winning is not to have a train wreck or minimise the impact of it and keep cool if a detail is going bad. you're in it for the long game so don't stress if you don't win any details, you just need to be there or there abouts in all of the details.

if you're not obsessed by marginal gains and are not hell bent on winning the f-open arms race and want to go to comps for some fun, learn your come-ups out to 1k or beyond if you fancy going out to 1200 yards, and go and have some fun and learn.

happy shooting

derek

if i were you, i'd find someone who shoots at 1000 a bit and go and book an electronic target with them and have a go. if you can get on at 600 then you should be able to work out your come-ups to 1k. get a plotting sheet for the target too so you can work out your windage minutes etc. also pick a fairly calm day for your fist go. i know a lot of people who plot every shot they ever took over their entire shooting career which they find useful. i never bothered.

depending on who you speak to, people will fill your head with all sorts of different ideas, experiences and notions that they all hold to be absolutely true. my experiences of long range target shooting is that there are a lot of people who know bits and bobs of good info but they also hold a lot of rubbish information to be true.... be wary of what you believe and adopt as your methodologies. just because someone has been loading and shooting targets for 20 plus years, doesn't mean they actually understand what they are doing to any great degree. make your own mind up about things and try and make informed choices. read as much as you possibly can, there are a lot of good books and web articles out there. knowledge is key.

if you want to compete, and by compete i mean be competitive, you need a rifle that throws high bc bullets out as fast and as accurately as possible with a load that has the lowest extreme spread you can manage in a load. you also need to be able to pick up on what the wind is doing from the first shot. over the course of a competition, most people will have a detail that is a train wreck and this tends to knacker their score. the trick to winning is not to have a train wreck or minimise the impact of it and keep cool if a detail is going bad. you're in it for the long game so don't stress if you don't win any details, you just need to be there or there abouts in all of the details.

if you're not obsessed by marginal gains and are not hell bent on winning the f-open arms race and want to go to comps for some fun, learn your come-ups out to 1k or beyond if you fancy going out to 1200 yards, and go and have some fun and learn.

happy shooting

derek

Thank you Derek

Some really good advice and ideas in that which I shall adopt.

Do have a couple of people I know who shoot long range.

Quote (depending on who you speak to, people will fill your head with all sorts of different ideas, experiences and notions that they all hold to be absolutely true. my experiences of long range target shooting is that there are a lot of people who know bits and bobs of good info but they also hold a lot of rubbish information to be true.... be wary of what you believe and adopt as your methodologies.)

This is very true I think I need to start from the beginning and remove any myths as I go forward and learn with practical experience that really works.

As you said wind is the really hard bit to learn but if I get out there it will become a bit easier as time goes on with practice.

There's no fast track to hitting V bull every time

Thanks again for good advise

Regards

Viv

Archived