1000lbs Wild Pig

Guest 308Panther

Chops for the masses!!!!

Pig Roast at my place!!! :lol:

That thing is gonna cost a small fortune to get mounted!

And by the time they get done showin it off the meats gonna be bad!

In the article they referanced a pig shot called "Hogzilla"...There was a lot of

discrepancies to what waz and what is...They claimed it was 12 ft and weighed 1200lbs

and they then buried it (why?) to hide it..

Turns out..it wasnt a wild boar...only half wild boar,the other half was domestic(Hamfordshire?)

and was later confirmed thru DNA testing

it was about 9 ft and weighed in at 800lbs...and it was sneaking treated food from the nearby mill.

I saw the documentary on the N.G. channel

This one...as it turns out isnt a true wild boar either...its a feral pig.

A HUGE pig nonetheless...and I guess he is due some credit...

But the part about 16 shots is very disappointing...and only 9 scoring hits

I am a firm believer of one and done.

I am not sure how one could accomplish a single shot kill with a pistol on something that huge tho,since the largest game I have shot only weigh in the 190's and that was with a rifle.

To be honest ...I have alot of mixed feelings on this,

Part of me thinks this kid has shot one hell of a trophy...

Part of me thinks that due to its size and the location of the hunt, there is something suspicious...(More treated feed?)

I wish I could remember the area Hogzilla was shot...Just recall it was somewhere "down south"

Part of me thinks that shooting feral animals doesnt count as "Trophy Class Animals".

308Panther

Hi Panther

I have read on another link that the 11 year old boy shoot it with a .50 hand gun now I have never shot a big calibre hand gun but I am lead to believe that they take a bit of handling, and 16 shot out of one for a young lad is quite a lot. ;) It also said that the father and guilds were covering his son with high velocity rifles while this was going on. So why the jam doughnut did they not give him the rifle to head shoot it, or do so them selves? ;)

B-b

Guest Rich.K

It seem more fishy tham porky to me?! A bit of a publicity stunt, and yeah a 50 cal, ported or not taking some handling and some - mind you the las looks like he need beef up for the hunt!?!? ;)

Too many shots, not a good day out for me!

Guest 308Panther

There are some places in the UK I believe that are having a major problem with feral hogs,or that is aleast the impression I got from some sort of documentary that was done for the t.v....And we have been getting a few problems with them too....Our own Dumb Nasty Rednecks (DNR) has issued a shoot on sight order.But to date I havent seen any to shoot...so I havent shot any.I dont remember the location in the UK the documentary was done in.

For the record...This is my own honest opinon, and any one can feel free to disagree.I want to make sure that is understood...

I am not completely comfortable with the idea of selling a hunt on private property involving feral animals.

Take the word Feral:meaning to let go wild from a domestic species.....

To me it means sloppy animal management...The land owner/farmer/animal raiser is too busy or lazy to do anything to keep his herd under a controllable number.To then "offer" that land open to hunting for a fee is nothing less then a get rich quick scheme.

I personally belive it should be the other way around...The land owner/farmer/animal raiser should at least offer the marksman compensation for the time and ammo used.The meat goes to the shooter..to be used as he sees fit.After all the Land owner/farmer/animal raiser has at his disposal all the meat he needs and profits off of all thats at is under his control.

I dont totally agree with the idea of turnin an 11 yr kid loose w/ a large bore handgun.We have a few that were made specifically for the idea of dropping wild game...The Taurus Ragin Bull in 454 Casuall,Smith and Wesson .500 are 2 that come to mind really easy....They are not little guns in any means...The grips are large,and they are heavy.

I personally havent fired either...But I have fired a T/C Contender in .35 Rem with a 15 in barrel.

I also own a couple heavy framed black powder cap and ball revolvers...Colt's Walker (repro) and a Colt's 1st Model Dragoon (repro) both are in .44. I have fired several .44mags,357 mags...and feel that the recoil,weight involved to be too much for a kid to handle safely. Both my Black Powder Colt repro's weigh over 4.5 lbs ...Empty. Thats alot of gun to hold.And they kick like mules.

There is a certain amount of maturity needed...and with 16 shots fired.....(9 of wich were hits) and another 3 hrs needed to place the killing shot just reeks of imaturity,self control,and discretion and p+ss poor judgement.His father should be ashamed at the lesson his son learned...and that is...Just keep pullin the trigger cause sooner or later it will drop.

I sure hope Daddy doesnt plan on takin this kid on a real live "Big Game" Hunt(Griz or Polar bear) or any of Africa's 5

...cause if he does...I think the animal just might win that round,And if it did.....Well... the animal just did us all a favor.

The more I think on it...the more it saddens me.

Sorry, but I dont believe that this one does any justice to the Hunting Community.And is nothing more than fuel for the

Anti's to use to go..."See,See ....This is what we are talking about.....and to get another toe in the door to use for their own dirty work about hunting.....

Real game animals (Wild Boar) dont get that big...Nature wont let them...it becomes too difficult for them to breed after they reach a certain size/weight...plus there is the constant moving about to search out new feeding areas once an area has been exhausted.....

Basically whats been done,is some one raised a pig...turned it loose and let a trigger happy kid shoot it.

Yup....I sure call that "Hunting".. ;)

308Panther

Guest 308Panther

"I think you may be right mate"

On wich part???? :lol:

I got the same link sent to me from a freind down in Taz

Startin to get ticked off enough to want to leave a nasty comment on the

kids websight...

The last 6 deer I dropped were all done with a single shot,3 of those dropped in their tracks...never moved

and that was done from 35 feet,120 yrds and out to 180 yrds...

and Daddy and kid feel they got braggin rights???

To what??

308Panther

Caught some intel from guys in the area, who were from the same county, of the shot hog. They had seen this hog for a while, and it weren't much for wild, and not the only one...The hog was pretty much pen raised. There aren't true 'wild boar' in the US, the piggies we shoot have been the result of man letting the porkers loose over the past few hundred years...

Here's some exerpts from the guys in the area:

"Guys, I can't stand this anymore. That hog was in my pasture the day before it was shot. It is a big SOB, no doubt. BUT...1100 pounds??? It is one of 4 that have been roaming around here for years. My next door neighbor was out throwing rocks at it becasue it was scaring the horses. It was not agressive (yea, I know that could change) and the thought of Becky chasing it down the drive pelting it w/ gravel cracks me up. I called animal control and was told the guy who owns it has been cited twice for it being out. The guys response was "it's not mine, I gave it to someone else".

This has been a local joke. Another Hide member lives here also. He likes to rub it in saying "Keith, you shoulda took the shot". Don't mind shootin' him but what to do w/ that big stripey deckchair once he's dead???

Here is a pic the day before he was shot. The shooter was a local hero.....for about 15 minutes."

and:

"It was a big hog and KS is correct the guy was famous for about 15 minutes. It was a pen raised hog that kept getting out and the guy that owned it just let it and 3 others wander off. Read the full story in the Field and Stream article.

KS just could not get away from the story after he did not shoot it. He sent me the picture at work and I called him yelling SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT! (No hunting season in GA for hogs, you can take them any time of the year) He told me that after he took the pic he went in the house for the rifle, came back out and the hog was gone. I had to tell him you take the picture after the pig is dead! Well the next day the thing is on the local news hanging in a tree. The following day it is on CNN and Fox News. All of KS’s family from other states start calling and asking “Did you see the giant hog on the news” and I even had a friend in the sandbox e-mail me about it. Needless to say I rubbed it in that KS should have taken the shot. This goes on for about 2 weeks then it dies down; we go to the Shot Show and one of the vendors sees our tag and our home town and says ”Did you guys see that giant hog on the news?” Now it is on the Hide, it just will not go away.

KS, I think the world of you but you should have taken the shot!"

JR

Guest 308Panther

The only real "wild piggies" we got are down Tex-Mex way...(Never been down there)

Javelina...Hear they are pretty ornery,run in packs...weigh up to about 90 lbs to 120lbs or so (?)

All the Russian Wild Boar here are imports....

'round here we get a nusance critter ya practice the 3 "S"es.

Shoot,Shovel and Shut up.

Granted...a 1,000 lb pig is hard to hide and shovel for...

But thats why we got " Back " 40's and bobcats or bucket loaders...

We sure as hell dont turn a trigger happy kid loose to do a mans job....

Freind of mine has a dairy farm...

And every year they would pick out a nice steer that looked good...Halter break it.

Feed and fatten it up good for the 4 H auction...Raise some money for the kids...

One year...He raised a 1,450 lb steer...

Thing was so big it couldnt move very fast for very long.

I would imagine the same for hogs..

And since it was pen raised...it should have been easy enough to walk up to it and

put a round in its ear ....That close...Hell,my 1911 .45 usin a 230 gr FMJ would have done the trick nicely

Or

Set up a blind and bait pile in the woods. I would bet my .308 is very capable of dropping that in one.

I dont know of a whole lot on this continent that could stand up after a close range head shot from a .308

Dem Southern (US) Boys awlays did tings kinda deffer-aunt.

Days even marryin dere own fam-ly.

308Panther

Guest Smeagle

Well I have been known to shoot the odd pig or two. :lol:

They are rampant down here in the Northern Territory and Northern Queensland, great sport up close and personal and you have to be quick of the mark. They also dog them and do the deed with a knife not my thing as I cant be bothered running after something when a projectile can cover the ground much faster. But getting back to the point, nearly every pig is or has some domesticated blood in it, there are very few truly wild boar left. Those that are as soon as you set them they travel for miles to get into the domestic sows and you have cross contamination within two to three generations. As for feral, well every species we shoot out here has been introduced they are all feral.

In the UK, Fallow deer came from the Med, Rabbits came from Spain, Sika came from Japan, Pheasants came from India, Red-leg Partridge came from Spain, Muntjac came from Asia, Chinese Water Deer came from surprisingly China, Grey Squirrels came from Nt America, oh yes and the boar that are there came from Germany.

So I don't really understand your point, its no different to those huge game ranches that have sprung up the kid has his pig, got his puss in the paper and is happy. Mind you having a kid running around with a pistol shooting multiple times into the beast to drop it really isn't what it is about and not something that I personally would allow. But don't buy into this myth that they are vindictive and dangerous, they really aren't.

Guest 308Panther

Because to me it aint huntin....

Say ya got the wild game on your western ranch like Elk,Mule Deer,Mountain Goat,Mountain Lion....and ya wanted to charge me for the privelege of me hunting those...I understand.

You want to bring in an exotic species and charge me for killin that...I can understand that one too.

But to pen raise something and then let it loose cause it was too big to handle or costly in feed...and it becomes a nusance to your neighbors,and then charge me to kill it....

That aint hunting.

And that aint what hunting is about.

A guy at work comes up to me and asks me if I want to go to Texas to hunt...

Ok,What are we huntin I asked..

His answer...."Whitetailed deer,Cost ya a grand to get in on it."

My answer...Sorry,But No...The day I gotta pay a grand to hunt the same kinda deer I got on my folks place or my uncles farm is the day I hang my guns up.On my family's land I can legally shoot 6 deer,Why would I drive for 22 hrs,and spend a $1,000 to shoot only one?

308Panther

Guest Smeagle

Agreed its irresponsible to turn out animals without understanding the impact that they have on the environment, personally nearly all if not all the stuff that I hunt was born and raised in the wild. I see little to no point in driving into a closure and sitting on the back of a truck and popping away, might as well buy your trophies of ebay.

Hunting is about the experience, getting out there and I pay for no hunting indeed I get paid to hunt, but that is rare and I consider myself privileged to be in that position. But I also understand that many are not, not everyone has these opportunities after all if we were all in that position who is going to do brain surgery, fix the TV or repair the roads. Or pay for me to go hunting. So for some this is the only opportunity that they get.

When you think about it the vast majority of pheasants and partridge shot in the UK for example were hatched in captivity and raised in pens. Nearly all the deer that are shot there are paid for. In the same way as if you hire a guide how much hunting do you actually do, they basically sit you down in front of the animal. So what is the difference. This is still a big porker by any standards, and can anyone in the States claim to have shot in the States a truly wild boar, no they cant so any pig shot there came from someplace.

Guest 308Panther

The differance would be Daddy circumventing the huntin laws to take his

kid pig huntin for graduating kindnergarten.

308Panther

Smeagle,

I would contend the domesticated pig can be very vindictive..I would have liked to have been packin' heat when working on the pig farms when I was 11..hah..

It's a big boar, but ain't the biggest on record..Saw there was one in the states back in the '30s which was 9 feet long and weighed over 1 tonne, a China Poland.. That's a beeeg peeg..

I can't understand why this made the news, really. Wasn't even a canned hunt, basically some pigs got loose, and the farmer was fed up with putting them back in the pen. Animal control wouldn't do anything about it, so a local lad shot the thing, as it was a nuisance. The only thing 'feral' about this beastie was that it wasn't in it's pen at the time. So it wouldn't have had much fear of man, like you said 308, probably could have walked close enough to whack it behind the ear. Hell, I bet you could have thrown a saddle on the hog and rode it to the butchers..

JR

Panther,

As far as i know, we do not have a problem with escaped domestic porkers, i could be wrong.

We do however (by some authorities) have a problem with escaped Wild Boar.

To me i dont think it is a problem but a welcome addition to the countryside.

These animals are raised for the exotic meat market and over the years many have escaped and started colonies, there must be thousands up and down the country by now.

Checkout this link:

http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/

Ian.

Guest 308Panther

Vermincinerator-

Some of the places listed on the site sound familiar...

But then those places might have some other note worthiness attached to them too.

And durin the middle of the program they switched and started showin the

problems here in the US...... I only caught the tail end of what was explained in the UK.

And where/how those places all fit in relation on the map I am not sure of...

I should print out a map...Then I might figure out whats where..or more importantly

Who is where...

JR-

As to how it got newsworthy attention....Thats easy to explain.

The wrong person seen it,while they were figurin out what to do

with it...Do we grab the chainsaw and cut it up or the backhoe

and plant it???

308Panther

Guest varmartin

Yep........thought so....just a hoax.

That picture of the giant squirrel and them toy solders impressed me more ;):P

Martin

Yep, another one of those Canned/Fenced Hunts these Americans are getting famous for, makes me sick to the back teeth the extremes they will go to be biggest & best, some victory.

Monster Pig farm-raised, not wild

The Associated Press

Published on: 06/01/07

FRUITHURST, Ala. — Before he became known as "Monster Pig," the 1,051-pound hog shot in Delta was known by another name.

Fred.

Rhonda and Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star on Thursday evening that, on April 29, four days before the hog was killed, Fred was one of many livestock on their farm.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

"I didn't want to stir up anything," Rhonda Blissitt said. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig."

Added Phil Blissitt:

"If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we'd know that for the rest of our lives."

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was harvested by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.

The Blissitts said they were unaware that the hog generating all the media attention was once theirs. It wasn't until Howell spoke with Phil Blissitt that the pieces of the puzzle came together.

Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him about the now-famous hog.

"Did you see that pig on TV?" Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him. "I said, 'Yeah, I had one about that size.' He said, 'No, that one is yours.'

"That's when I knew."

Phil Blissitt purchased the pig for his wife as a Christmas gift in December of 2004. From 6 weeks old, they raised the pig as it grew to its enormous size.

Not long ago, they decided to sell off all of their pigs. Eddy Borden, owner of Lost Creek Plantation, purchased Fred.

Attempts by The Star to reach Borden were unsuccessful.

While Rhonda Blissitt was somewhat in the dark about the potential demise of her pet, Phil Blissitt said he was under the understanding that it would breed with other female pigs and then "probably be hunted."

Many other of their former pigs — like their other farm animals — had been raised for the purpose of agricultural harvest.

As the Blissitts recounted the events of the last two days, they told stories and made many references to the gentleness of their former "pet."

From his treats of canned sweet potatoes to how their grandchildren would play with him, their stories painted the picture of a gentle giant. They even talked about how their small Chihuahua would get in the pen with him and come out unscathed.

"But if they hadn't fed him in a while," Rhonda Blissitt said, "he could have gotten irate."

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when they learned about all the doubters who said photos of Fred were doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

The information of the pig's previous owner came out on the same day that officials from the Fish and Wildlife concluded their investigation of the hunt. They concluded that nothing illegal happened under the guidelines of Alabama law.

Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said they learned the hog's origin as the investigation unfolded.

"We were able to determine that he came from a domesticated environment," he said. "So, he was not feral to start with. Therefore, he would not violate our feral swine trapping and relocating rule."

Mike Stone, Jamison's father, contends that he was unaware of the origin of the pig. Before, during and after the hunt — and until late Thursday night, when contacted by The Star — Mike Stone was under the impression that the hog was feral.

"We were told that it was a feral hog," Mike Stone said, "and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog."

Laught on another forum about the three hour hunt was that the Pig ran a couple of hundered yards, & it took that fat kid three hours to catch up.

BJ.

Archived