Paint over truoil

oaken

I have been offered a laminate stock at a good price but the colours are unbearable.

It has been finished with Truoil, does this have to be removed before painting? If so, how?

Would like to get it ceracoted (or dura coated?) but will it just flake off without stripping right back??

Thanks for any advice

Rup

If you want a quick cheap alternative you could always use Krylon - if it chips off you just respray. I did a KKC laminate stock a couple of years ago and its holding up just fine. I just degreased and I think lightly sanded prior to painting.

I've just painted my laminate which was finished with danish oil, gave it a light sand to provide a key then sprayed. I'm waiting for the clear coat to dry as I type. Might post a few pictures, but will let it harden overnight

I have heard elsewhere that Krylon is good stuff, maybe I'll give it a go. I'll strip the truoil off with solvent first.

It is and its easy to use and get good results. This is one I did a while ago - the rifle has seen a lot of field use but the paint has held up just fine.

cc7f4794-c2bd-4179-b275-f405ca3ff834.jpg

Archived