Deer skins/hides

heres a thought?

any of you guys had your skins/hides treated or thu a "tannery" or such to make them into rugs??

was thinking bout it but dunnoe if anyone can pass advice or places to get it done...???

just a thought

im in NE Scotland

sauer

DSC02930.jpg

It is fairly common over here to use reindeer skins as rugs and sleeping mats.I treated myself to this hide recently as I found that the modern platic/foam mats weren't keeping the cold out.Only disadvantage is that it's a bit heavier than the modern variants.The tannery that I bought it from has waterproofed it on the leather side so that it doesn't suck water.They also accept/prepare fox,badger,beaver,pine marten,lynx and all deer/sheep/goatskins.-Toby

Nail skin to a board nice and tight.

Scrape all excess tissue from skin

Mix Bicarbonate of soda with Diesel until the consistancy of Mayonaise

Paint all over about 1/8-1/4 of an inch thick

Leave to dry

Go back over any thin spots

Leave for atleast a month

Put grass Edger in vice

Work skin back and forwards on the edger untill like the underside of a sheepskin rug

Dave

Sauer you can easily do it yourself as I have done.

Buy plenty of salt.

Peg the skin to a board, nails, pins etc reasonably tight but not a guitar string :lol:

You have the inside facing up i.e. fur to the board.

You want a blunt butter knife or similar. You are scraping not cutting or gouging.

scrape the excess meat and fat off . leave any stubborn areas and apply a generous portion of salt.

Leave a couple of days or when the salt looks damp. remove the salt, scrape clean and replace with fresh.

A milky substance ( fat) comes out of the skin and it is this that you are wanting to drawing out.

Keep doing this until the salt stays dry.

You can now stretch it or pummel it to make it soft.

Done.

You can't do this where it is damp or humid, best in a porch, conservatory or loft.

The only downside is it is not waterproof and given the chance will reabsorb water. Maybe a silicone spray could be tried?

I have a lovely grey and ginger fox skin in the front porch and the tail is on a cane for dusting cobwebs.

Archived