first c/f 223

FOXANDY

hi been shooting years with fac air 22lr 17hmr just picked up over xmas 223 tikka hunter not a clue about handloading as yet, that will come when ive set ,scope /mod up, but my question is are 55grn factory loads perfect for fox/roe/muntjac :unsure:

CANT SHOOT ROE WITH THAT CALIBRE....LOOK AT DEER LAWS

SAME AS I SAID NOT A CLUE WITH DEER CALS YET JUST FEELING MY WAY AROUND TO DEER ALWAYS WATCHED THEM /DISTURBED THEM NEVER SHOT ONE?. :) .PS I WASN,T TRYING TO BE COCKY WITH THE OTHER REPLY I JUST KNOW 223 IS LEGAL FOR ROE IN SCOTLAND DOUG.THANKS AGAIN.

Happy to stand corrected on specific Scottish rules ...CAPS were finger trouble not emphasis.

sorry i didnt realize i had caps on myself thanks for any replys or advise its all wellcome once again thanks i might get 243 at a later date,if i can slip it upstairs without other half seeing it but for now i will concentrate on the 223 cheers. :) doug.

another ? exuse me if i sound or look daft for that matter bear with me im getting old whats the difference in the bullet presses, not counting price quality size what have you, does it matter for a new starter?.

another ? exuse me if i sound or look daft for that matter bear with me im getting old whats the difference in the bullet presses, not counting price quality size what have you, does it matter for a new starter?.

as reloading press?

i use a lee cast does ok.cost me about £110.my mate uses a rcbs and it feels very slick against the lee.both produce good ammo though

rcbs it is then thanks, by the way dont tell my missus but i snore as well she hasnt clocked yet im allways shooting.cheers everybody for the replys.

thanks for that guys thats what im looking for good info on 223 on vermin / small deer rounds upto 300mtrs.cheers :D

Hi,

You might be well advised to pick one bullet and stay with it- you will otherwise probably get Point Of Impact changes between different bullets,though it might not be much at 100y.

Whatever,do NOT use varmint designed bullets on roe deer-they are designed not to penetrate and can cause very unpleasant but not fatal surface damage. Bullets of the same weight/make can be match/target,or varmint,or deer/game.The deer ones are fine for varmints,usually,but not the the way round. Deer bullets legally have to be expanding-most 'match' ammo is hollow point,but that isn't 'expanding' by design.Almost all bullets will specify their purpose/design....be advised- for deer,get bullets so designed: Nosler partition have been mentioned: don't use V(armint)Max for roe..... heavier bullets generally have some knock down advantage on roe-see what advice you get here and elsewhere-there are enough good bullet choices.If you must have separate varmint/deer bullets,then OK-just be sure of the scope adjusments you need between their use-and write it down,stick it on scope,rifle,or you will forget on some outing...

It's not difficult to be best set up for varmints/deer,just needs a bit of care in bullet selection,and don't expect equal bullet performance at 300 to100 yards-it's velocity,as well as design,related.

Gbal

great that covers exactly what im after thanks for all replys i am not rushing into it just feeling my way in , by the way i dont have any intention of shooting deer with varmint rounds at all just trying to find what i can and cannot shoot ,bullet choices factory wise as i am not reloading as yet. :) doug.

Archived