U Caller Remote Modification

silent_varmintor

Lads.

I bought a U Caller Remote a while ago but was always annoyed at the lack of distance it had for the remote to work. I could only get upto around 80-100 yards. Ideally i would want a bit further than that. I nearly bought the electronic caller from best fox call but was put off by not being able to upload your own calls to it. I saw on the SD forum that someone added an external antenna to it and had good results. I bought a basic 6" CB antenna from ebay for the mod. I took the caller apart and found the pitiful internal antenna cable inside and was shocked that was what giving 80-100 yards in the 1st place !!!! Then Drilled a small hole above the internal antenna wire and soldered a BNC connector and fixed it to the body of the caller. Also replaced the battery wiring to the circuit board as it was thin crappy wire and had actually snapped off the circuit board with just opening it up. Got her back together and she's sat in the kit bag from mid December til now.

Went out to the farm today to replace batteries in the trail cams and at the same time gave the caller a test. I got to a whopping 547 yards !!! I only had to stop cos it was getting difficult to hear the caller. So im well impressed with it now for sure, and the antenna only cost me £12.

Craig

Lads.

I bought a U Caller Remote a while ago but was always annoyed at the lack of distance it had for the remote to work. I could only get upto around 80-100 yards. Ideally i would want a bit further than that. I nearly bought the electronic caller from best fox call but was put off by not being able to upload your own calls to it. I saw on the SD forum that someone added an external antenna to it and had good results. I bought a basic 6" CB antenna from ebay for the mod. I took the caller apart and found the pitiful internal antenna cable inside and was shocked that was what giving 80-100 yards in the 1st place !!!! Then Drilled a small hole above the internal antenna wire and soldered a BNC connector and fixed it to the body of the caller. Also replaced the battery wiring to the circuit board as it was thin crappy wire and had actually snapped off the circuit board with just opening it up. Got her back together and she's sat in the kit bag from mid December til now.

Went out to the farm today to replace batteries in the trail cams and at the same time gave the caller a test. I got to a whopping 547 yards !!! I only had to stop cos it was getting difficult to hear the caller. So im well impressed with it now for sure, and the antenna only cost me £12.

Craig

Excellent, Sir. Do you have an item number for the antenna and connector please?.

Lads.

Craig

Sounds good well done on your efforts. Distance is always an issue with me, I find most foxpros only get out to 100 yards, The Western Rivers caller I use gives me 200 yards plus, and this is handy on the hill.

243ack : The connector i got from work, it was just a basic BNC connector. The antenna i got im sure was just a guy selling one he had spare. Ill have a look and see if i can find another like it and send you the item number.

223magic : I was going to get another caller, either foxpro or western rivers but thought id try the antenna mod 1st. Glad i did now

craig

243ack : I think this will do the same job and its only £7 150941816758

couldnt find the same connector i used cos its needs to be soldered. If you want ill see if theres more at my work and send you one.

craig

Many thanks.

243ack : i have a BNC connector that you need for this upgrade if you still need it. PM me your address and ill send it your way.

Craig

Many thanks for the offer - but I've just chnaged a remote control unit on a low loader winch. The failed unit has a small antenna - connected by a soldered BNC connector!. I'd have thrown it away had it not been for your ingenuity!. Wish me luck - and thanks again for the kind offer.

Tom

Archived