Got my new rifle case delivered today in preparation for a trip to Scotland at the end of the month. As we are flying I wanted something that will put up with the baggage handlers so ordered this Alexander case.

Spent 15mins setting out the layout with the foam to make a nice secure home for the 243 whilst it is travelling.

RCase.jpg

It seems nice and solid, well padded and 2 combi locks plus a clasp locks that you can add padlocks to. Foam is a decent thickness and no issues fitting rifles, mod, etc.

Jerry

Nice case but i can see one major flaw........... If your case go's missing there is a complete rifle in the case, ie, rifle/bolt/magazine.........I would take the magazine/bolt seperate ;)

See your point but he'd have to put the bolt & or mag into his checked luggage. Doubt they'd let him carry the bits onto the plane in hand luggage.

They get paranoid about fluids let alone rifle components. My point is that a thief might look for matching luggage labels if he'd discovered parts missing on opening the rifle case.... Or maybe i'm the paranoid one.. :lol:

Very nice job, I think about only thing I prefer is to have the scope upwards (near handles) when being carried. Guess it makes no difference anyway though.

David

Hmm, I see your point. Easy to change as I can flip the top layer of foam around.

Jerry

See your point but he'd have to put the bolt & or mag into his checked luggage. Doubt they'd let him carry the bits onto the plane in hand luggage.

They get paranoid about fluids let alone rifle components. My point is that a thief might look for matching luggage labels if he'd discovered parts missing on opening the rifle case.... Or maybe i'm the paranoid one.. :lol:

This was checked with BA, the airline we are using. The rifle, bolt and mag have to go in the case all together.

Ammo then has to go in a seperate baggage in the hold inside a locked container.

If flying it may be worth checking with your carrier as they all seem to have different rules.

I am not sure if I am looking forward to checking it in as I am sure it will raise a few eyebrows even though they are expecting it!

Jerry

Guest sean1967

Just remember to allow an additional 45mins plus to your check in times.

Vim

A bit of a beginners mistake there. :lol: Taking the scope off does nothing to make the weapon more secure and or inoperative. However removal of the bolt effectively makes the weapon nothing more than a steel pipe with an optical aiming devise clamped on top. ;)

The layout looks spot on, put some rubber either end, at least quarter of an inch thick and full depth from bottom of case up to the lip. Baggage handlers seem to have a hate complex on firearms and are prone to thowing the cases hard, its not unusual to find the end of the barrel poking out of the case on collection!!, the rubber prevents that happening.

Redfox

One suggestion, which I have done with my cases, is to make a small cut out to take a cleaning rod. FWIW I also cut enough foam out to allow for a bore guide and patches (no cleaning fluids obviously).

David.

Nice job there. Don't worry about rifle or case ,you've done everything you can. I had one of those cases and it survived 2 trips to africa involving 16 different plane journeys before it died. Even then the rifle and scope survived. Rifle and bolt together is right and ammo goes into hold luggage. When you check in tell them that you have ammo in your luggage and they will tag it with yellow and black tape stating EXPLOSIVE just to get the baggage handlers attention. Book in with loads of time to spare, sometimes it takes minutes and sometimes over an hour.

Good hunting

paul

Nice job there. Don't worry about rifle or case ,you've done everything you can. I had one of those cases and it survived 2 trips to africa involving 16 different plane journeys before it died. Even then the rifle and scope survived. Rifle and bolt together is right and ammo goes into hold luggage. When you check in tell them that you have ammo in your luggage and they will tag it with yellow and black tape stating EXPLOSIVE just to get the baggage handlers attention. Book in with loads of time to spare, sometimes it takes minutes and sometimes over an hour.

Good hunting

paul

Thanks. That is reasuring.

I have reversed the foam so scope is at the top and added a slot for the cleaning rod.

Jerry

Archived