Decapping Lapua palma brass

20series

Guys

I've had a bit of a blond moment and realised that I can't use my standard RCBS neck size die to decap the smaller primers due to the smaller flash hole.

Now the question is can I just buy some smaller pins will they hold in the die??

any help appreciated greatly

cheers

Alan

As I see it, if your die has a parallel straight pin, yes RCBS does a small dia. version as used in approriate dies and in its 'Competition' series sizers. If it's a headed pin, 'no' as it seems they're made in the large size only.

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Midway_UK/Products/1458321323/SubProducts/321323&ff_pos=1&ff_origPos=1&ff_simi=100.0&ff_TrackGUID=52B623B6-65B4-86EA-C160-1414141E6C07

Alternatives are to get a dedicated decapper which has the small dia. pin option or to reduce the diameter of your existing pin, or maybe better get a cheap Lee universal decap die with its strong stem and integral pin and reduce its diameter. It only has to be reduced by a few thou' as the standard dia, is only marginally above the nominal 1.5mm (0.059") flash-hole size. Spinning the stem in a drill and holding emery to it will soon see it small enough.

You then decap as a separate operation from sizing and must remember to remove the decap pin from the sizer before using it on 'Palma' cases.

Archived