Screwcutting

what about if the barrel has been chopped and threaded?

one of the gunsmiths i use has send my mod to be proofed because it was carrying 223 proof marks and i have a slot for 222 so he reckons i cant own it , how bizarre is that? ;):) he did not charge me so he is not trying in on for a bit of cash.

screwcutting and proofing the rifle (and mod) cost £50 :(

hello farnsworth btw you are not far from me.

I had wasted about 30 rounds walking the shotys in at that range when my friend pointed to some rabbits at 200 ish and I missed

we talked for a min or two when we both caught sight of two little tombola running around right where I had just wasted ammo finding the max dial and amount of hold over

it took just one round after re-dialing and aiming off again to hit it

I never thought that it would kill it outright at that range and so ran as fast as my short ass little legs would carry me

got there and the round had gone straight through and it was obviously stone dead

Used to have a place set up with 1-2-300 yd benches back in my hometown in SoDak, was pretty sweet actually, and I'd come back a few weeks before deer season to help the farmers get their rifles zeroed. Previous method was to shoot a coffee can at 25 yds, if you came close you were zeroed. Anyway, we had this guy, he wasn't right..Brought his turdy-turdy Winchester lever gun, scoped, but mounts weren't right, best gun he ever had. He said it was zeroed, and it didn't hit the 8' x 6' backstop at 100 yds. I watched the trace, and was clearly zeroed for 1000 and 70 mph full value wind. Watching him shoot was like watching a jack in the box, squirrely stripey deckchair..He was such the idiot that I just got fed up. Well the bloke shows up for opening day whitetail..Oh man, hes shooting on my ground? I made sure not to be in any danger zone, which was pretty much anywhere in front of him. Came back to the house for pre-elevensies, and see him walkin the treeline just above the range, near the 300yd point. I see him pull up, do his wobbly routine and fire one off..So I walk out there, he's happy as larry, he just shot a buck 25 ft from our target backstop..one shot one kill from 300+ with an unsighted 30-30! oh man...

JR

You can take a rifle to a Gunsmith to have it threaded and if the Proof Houses are correct in that it must now be reproofed then the Gunsmith is legally unable to return the rifle to you unless it is reproofed. If you do the threading yourself and arrange reproof then the legalities will not be a consideration until you come to sell it.

Re moderators.

It is not always required to have a moderator added to your FAC before you are able to purchase or is it necessarily required to show caliber/rifle for said moderator. I am able to purchase use and then sell F/B moderators without recourse to caliber, FAC variation or notification to my own Constabulary as the facility is added as a separate entry under 'Conditions' in order to avoid the inconvenience of constant variations and notifications.

Nothing is written in stone !

Guest farnsworth
what about if the barrel has been chopped and threaded?

one of the gunsmiths i use has send my mod to be proofed because it was carrying 223 proof marks and i have a slot for 222 so he reckons i cant own it , how bizarre is that? <_<:rolleyes: he did not charge me so he is not trying in on for a bit of cash.

screwcutting and proofing the rifle (and mod) cost £50 :D

hello farnsworth btw you are not far from me.

Hi Balckjack.

I wonder which RFD you are talking about. Its not a slightly owlish looking geezer from Bodidley is it? £50 seems a fair price for that job even without the proofing. I have a brno mod 1 which I want to get chopped and threaded. I was going to get a friend to do it but at that price I might just pay. How long did it take?

Archived