best factory rolled .243 for long range?

Hi guys

As most will have guessed ive got a sako 75 varmint in .243 its a 1-10 twist......before you all tell me to get something bigger for long range work that's not an option,as im really happy with it!! ;) ....holds 1/2 inch at 100 using 75 grn remington accutips :P .....im also not into hand loading yet!..so what is about off the shelf?..and what can I expect from it range wise?

cheers guys

Glenn.

Glenn.

I've no idea, but if you look carefully at my Avatar you will see a Sako 75 in 243 Win with a 1:8 twist barrel. It started life when I bought it new, just the same as your rifle. In these heathen parts I never came across any target ammunition for my original Sako 75, although I'm sure there is some out there at a price.

I got my Sako 75 re-barrelled with a Borders Archer barrel and it then performed very nicely with 105 A-Max and 107 SMKs.

One more comment, I shot rifles for over 35 years before I ever reloaded a round, but it's what I do now for most of the rifle shooting that I do.

Best regards

JCS

Hi guys

As most will have guessed ive got a sako 75 varmint in .243 its a 1-10 twist......before you all tell me to get something bigger for long range work that's not an option,as im really happy with it!! ;) ....holds 1/2 inch at 100 using 75 grn remington accutips :P .....im also not into hand loading yet!..so what is about off the shelf?..and what can I expect from it range wise?

cheers guys

Glenn.

Glenn,

The 243win would be a sensation if it was introduced tomorrow (cf 260 rem).

There are about 40 US factory loadings,and several European ones-the good news is that your current load is among the 'best'-of course,that depends on purpose-some of the heavier bullets are 'better' for deer etc.Of course,many of the loadings won't be available in UK.

Simply in terms of drop/drift at 500 yards,the Remington 75 g AccuTip boat tail gives 35 inch drop,and 23.5 inch wind drift(10mph).

That is pretty good.Fed Nosler 70 are 35/25,Fed 85 SGK 38/26.

The 'best' heavier bullets are eg Fed 100g SGK 41/21;FEd 100 Nosler Part 48/25

Not much in it-drop of course is knowable/dialable,wind -at 500-isn't ,so more critical in the field.

You don't specify what 'long range' you have in mind,but the above gives a comparative guide.

The standard relatively slow twist 243s will struggle at extended range,hence the attraction of one in eight twists to stabilise better BC 105/7 to 115 bullets.

The very competent 260 rem with factory loadings in the 125 class gives around 42/20 .At 1000y your 243 75 are 320/125,the 260 is 315/100.Data varies a bit with bullets/etc-and these are all factory loadings-typically not with 'target' bullets,and some 'hunting' bullets are 'worse'-but then,won't be fired at any extended ranges.

These days,reloading will save about the cost of the brass (with of course considerable set up costs)- fine if you are attracted to the idea,and keep an eye on relentless 'load development',which is all wear and tear/cost,and shoot quite a bit,and really need the possible relatively modest improvement in performance.

See Accurate Shooter website for (US) comparisons of 243 etc.I'm keeping my Sako 243 as is-but I'd do likewise if it were a 260.

Enjoy.

Gbal

Gbal,

thanks for the advise....keeping mine aswell as its a real tack driver,your spot on with the drop and windage...im hopeing to get out to about 750 at the next RRC shoot.

rgds

Glenn

Archived