mink advice please

jason66

Not easy to get rid of the mink we have trapped a lot on the avon got there numbers right down but it is a continual battle. The otters have made a comeback and do not like them and have helped in getting rid of them. Mk6 fens are the best with a bit of bait but they really cannot help in trying any dark holes on the river bank

Not easy to get rid of the mink we have trapped a lot on the avon got there numbers right down but it is a continual battle. The otters have made a comeback and do not like them and have helped in getting rid of them. Mk6 fens are the best with a bit of bait but they really cannot help in trying any dark holes on the river bank

Fenn traps are fine as long as there are no water voles about

Another method for catching them is to bury a 4" pipe into the ground at about 45 degrees with some fish in the bottom. They go down into the pipe and can't get back out!. An old shooting accomplice told me of this method and has proved very successful for him over the years. He reckoned he had caught hundreds like this.

Thanks Murph thats a great idea, simple,cheap and effective ?

Jason

Placing pipes in as traps will most definitely place you on the wrong side of the wildlife and countryside act.

I would recommend you stick with sand or clay pads identify the target species and visit live catch traps twice a day

MD

I never bait my mink traps. I work closely with an organisation who put mink rafts down, so evidence of their activity is obvious. As has been said, the mink are very inquisitive, and a hid, set trap with cover over it will prove too much to resist for most mink.

Another method for catching them is to bury a 4" pipe into the ground at about 45 degrees with some fish in the bottom. They go down into the pipe and can't get back out!. An old shooting accomplice told me of this method and has proved very successful for him over the years. He reckoned he had caught hundreds like this.

This was advice from an old fashioned keeper I used to shoot with. A group of antis decided to release 10s of thousand of them from fur farm in Donegal ireland. The village near the coast where they were released had literally hundreds of these things on the Main Street of the village running round the place as they were still tame with basically everyone in the village going round with whatever they could get their hands on to kill them!. This man lived in the village and said they are still completely decimating the native wildlife to this day. The fur farm was attacked about 10 years ago now and the neighbouring countryside is still in a lot of trouble over this. I don't think any of the authorities in the area would have much complaints about the mink getting killed lol.

This was advice from an old fashioned keeper I used to shoot with. A group of antis decided to release 10s of thousand of them from fur farm in Donegal ireland. The village near the coast where they were released had literally hundreds of these things on the Main Street of the village running round the place as they were still tame with basically everyone in the village going round with whatever they could get their hands on to kill them!. This man lived in the village and said they are still completely decimating the native wildlife to this day. The fur farm was attacked about 10 years ago now and the neighbouring countryside is still in a lot of trouble over this. I don't think any of the authorities in the area would have much complaints about the mink getting killed lol.

Don't know how to link but if you type in "mink farm donegal" it will show it. One of my friends who lived in the village till recently remembers it well. There was people in the villAge was driving up and down the Main Street for over a week trying to drive over the mink. Things like this can only really happen in rural ireland lol!

Archived