Ramshot powder in a 6,5x55

Missed

On the basis of Ramshot's data, Hunter should be a very good match to 6.5X55 with 139-142s. Sadly, we don't get 'Hunter' and as I understand it, won't ever as there is something in it that the EC regulators don't like.

Magnum looks a bit too slow burning, but Ramshot lists loads for it with respectable velocities. I've not yet tried it in a 6.5, but the faster burners (TAC and Big Game) have worked well for me in 308 Win and 223 Rem long-range heavy bullet combinations. Burns cleanly too unlike many ball powders, but it does leave a hard to shift fouling coating on the outside of case necks.

Are you sure about Hunter Laurie? Kranks have it advertised at £32.50 for 454g. I have heard that another of the Ramshot family does have some interesting characteristics though. What I would like is some feedback from anyone who has used it in that calibre if possible. Regarding the fouling on the brass, I think the ball mill using steel pins might work. Thanks for the feedback though.

I'm using 49.6 grains of magnum in my 6.5x55 with a 140 smk and loaded at 2.575(base to ogive) it shot a .223" 5 shot group up at the carlton moor tunnel a month or so ago. Not sure on speed yet and I'm still a couple of grains under book max so could go up more but with that kind of group I'm staying put!!

Are you sure about Hunter Laurie? Kranks have it advertised at £32.50 for 454g. I have heard that another of the Ramshot family does have some interesting characteristics though. What I would like is some feedback from anyone who has used it in that calibre if possible. Regarding the fouling on the brass, I think the ball mill using steel pins might work. Thanks for the feedback though.

I'd love to try Hunter - it suits so many cartridges I load. Every time I ask Kranks, the answer is 'No', although for some reason it keeps reappearing in their adverts. Ask though - it doesn't cost anything and maybe something'll change so Kranks can get it in.

I just spoke to Ken Grey at Kranks on another matter and asked him if there was any change on 'Hunter' while I was speaking to him. He says there isn't a product licensing issue as such, rather more where it originates and getting the licensing sorted to suit. He's 'hopeful' there will be some in the next Ramshot shipment to arrive which is already overdue and is now expected end of the year / early January.

That's what I assumed, but who knows. The one thing I've learned over the years is that anything to do with firearms and explosives licensing is NEVER simple or straightforward, especially when it's a mixture of EC and UK regulations.

I didn't ask, but assume that this shipment will get TAC back into the pipeline which I know Krank and many of its trade customers are desperate for. This is the biggest seller in the range, and it certainly works very well in .308 (as does 'Wild Boar'). I've attained some astonishing velocities without apparently excessive pressures from this pair with 155s out of a Howa 1500 Varmint with a mere 22-inch factory barrel and long throat, allied to perfectly respectable groups.

I'm liking the wildbore in my 223 with the 75 Amax and the 80 grain jlk! Not sure on velocity as yet as not used a chrono but they should be zinging along bloody fast as I'm over book with no pressure to speak of. :)

• 1 month later...

I'd love to try Hunter - it suits so many cartridges I load. Every time I ask Kranks, the answer is 'No', although for some reason it keeps reappearing in their adverts. Ask though - it doesn't cost anything and maybe something'll change so Kranks can get it in.

Laurie,

Ive been running quickload and have come across Hunter, it is shown on the Kranks website, has it always been there and they have no stock or has it been added now they have stock in the UK

It looks a great powder!

2950 fps was more than fine with my 243 combo but even 0.3gr ladder test steps went from rounded primers to heavy bolt lift at the top end. I suppose the the barrel life question will always haunt us, plenty of suggestions from both camps but i think the logic that you dont get a free lunch rings true here, work it harder, expect a shorter life.

Laurie is your man here and covered it in depth a few weeks back.

Archived