Measuring OAL

andybrock

Basically gbal, I think you are saying what I said a few posts earlier - all we need is a reliable 'off the lands' starting point - the target tells us the rest.

We shouldn't get wound-up about actual COAL (or now CBTO) measurements - these will be peculiar to each shooter's rifle/cartridge/bullet combination.

If we have learned this, then that is a step forward and should hopefully do away with all those "Can anyone give me the overall length....................?" posts. Wanna bet?

Yep,padded out a bit,as to why-AND add in that the measurer varies too -"sensitivity of touch'-tough as old boots academic keyboard jockeys may not have the sensitivity of those who strangle wild wolves nightly,and this will be reflected in the comparator/calliper etc readings,so peculiar to each shooter-perhaps 'peculiar' in both senses!

Will the OAL posts cease?Is a yard the same as a metre?

(but callipers crossed...!)

Gbal

PS it might make the Berger Hybrids seem better value,less of a 'load dev' chore!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about "OAL Gauges" that has been missed by all so far, is that they do not actually gauge from the base of the case, but from the point of contact of the supplied case with the chamber shoulder.

There is no guarantee that the case used in the gauge will the same "headspace" as the cases used in your loaded ammo. I have found some gauge cases to be out by 10 thou or more!

George

George, I never use a supplied case as it it so easyto thread a case that has been fired in my rifle!!.

But it is a good point that you have made,,,

Darrel

Archived