Savage Axis

Simon J

Anyone used one? And if so, do you rate it as good value for the money?

I see Boyds are now offering laminated stocks in 3 styles for them, which could do away with the flexi-stock problem I've seen reported. Boyds provide a replacement metal trigger guard.

First post on here. The Savage axis is a really good out of the box accurate rifle capable of some really good groupings, with some good reloadsyou could sub minute it, check out the reviews on youtube! heavy trigger but Timney make a replacement, so if you put a boyds stock on one and a timney trigger you would have a damn good rifle.

A place in Surrey does them for £350.00

Tim Pilbeam of Sporting Rifle does a review on the Savage Axis, Ruger American, and the Howa check it out again on Youtube somewhere.

You can actually get the Savage Axis package rifle and scope, Nikkostirling Diamond for £550.00 if you hunt round pardon the pun

Alan

I stopped watching at 1.5 minutes.

Seeing a Rifle reviewed and comments about its flexible stock and heavy mod affecting poi were valid points.

Until they proceeded to shoot the guns off a LOG !

Then reviewers wonder why manufacturers are reluctant to send guns for test.

I must be a good boy then, you let me have yours!

Seriously though, to the OP, pm me your email address and I will email you the article on the Axis from when I tested it back in May/June 2012. In brief though, the Savage axis, heavy trigger, floppy stock, sound mechanicals but a little agricultural. The gun will shoot quite well BUT you as the shooter need to have excellent trigger control and stock manipulation to prevent intermittent barrel contact.

One of the biggest importers on the block has sent me a rifle that although accurate, is not going to shoot the McQueen's at Diggle this weekend unless it shapes up it's ideas about extracting and ejecting brass reliably. Fast shots with a 4lb trigger are enough to contend with.

It is horrible, no seriously it is!

It will happily shoot sub MOA, provided you hold it the same way. As soon as anything changes the POI changes - sometimes alarmingly so. I had the pleasure of using one for the BDS national shoot this summer (search on here for my full experience with it...) - basically found it hopeless for positional shooting. I would strongly recommend anything else for the money, like a s/h savage 110, parker hale, sporterised enfield/mauser or even a sharp pointy stick...

As the O/P asked: its a budget rifle that will do the job and can be improved, no its not a Sako but considering the price you can buy them for there there plus you get Edgars Brother 3 year warranty they are a bargain, yes we know the triggers sugar and the stock plastic but you can have a gun that works and upgrade at leisure or when you can afford it.

I'm very happy with my T3 thanks, but I guess the Axis in a decent stock from Boyds will be a different proposition from the stock item, but then its hardly in the bargain basement category after you've laid out for a Boyd's stock, and probably a new trigger

Archived