Dan is catching up

kip270

Went out tonight with the .17hmr & the .222, i was using the HMR, while Dan was using the .222.

Arriving at the farm at approx 7pm, it was still light (well lightish) so we got everything ready, and i have managed to get some horse hoof clippings and brewing my own mix :o and it really STINKS, so bad that when i put it in a smaller bottle i was nearly sick, the plan being to put some of this smelly stuff on a old sock(it was a clean sock before) :lol:

Walking down the farm drive to our first field, i had a quick scan up the lane and bugger me there was a fox stood on the road looking at us, and then it was gone(the quickest we have ever spotted one) not sure why as the wind was right :( scannig the field we didn't spot anything apart from a few rabbits.)

I got out the old sock and got a ground stake in the form of a small branch, tied the sock to it to stop the foxes making of with it, then pourd this smelly stuff on the sock, and we were off, hoping to see something when we came back in an hour or so.

Walking round a few fields, we managed a few bunnies, should of had more, but that's the way it go's.

After seeing the video with Robert Bucknell, i took my array of calls with me, and stood for a while having a good call, but failed to call anything in at all, so we were heading back towards the farm. The next field was the one with the dead sheep in it, but after having a scan we didn't see anything, then i swung the lamp back to our right and there on the edge of the wood was a fox, but we were on the wrong side of the gate :rolleyes: so i took the rifle off Dan and he climbed over then passed him the rifle's and climbed over (the rilfes were pointing in a SAFE direction at all times). Back on with the lamp and the fox didn't have a care in the world, not bothered by the lamp at all, i gave Dan the bi-pod and he was getting ready, lying down he was ready for the shot. I asked if he was ready, but no reply, looking back at the fox it was moving, and presented a lovely broadside chance, it stopped and i was waiting for rifle report, but nothing. Dan was trying to get comy with the fox on the move he had to move the rifle, and then the fox was gone....I asked Dan how come he didn't take the shot and he then explained he had to try and get sorted with the bi-pod, as it was too high. I was not a happy chappy as when the fox stopped i would of been ready and taken the shot, the fox had slipped off down into the wood, so i got out my raspy call, and tried it.

Then about 40 yards down into the wood i spotted a set of eye's, looking at us from inside the wood, Dan was onto it and ready for the shot, he confirmed it was a Fox, and then squeezed off his shot "Thwump", the fox slummped as the bullet done it's job, Range was 171 yards

Lucky for Dan the bullet didn't hit the new fence :lol:

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

Not many out and about tonight :blink: , but i got all next week :lol::lol::lol:

Dan is now on 7 foxes, while i'm on 8, so it looks as if Dan may be the lamper in future ;)

good going there lads .. :rolleyes: and nice shooting .nice to hear a bit of a story of the nights out as well far better than just a few pics by them selfs ..

Good write up Kip.

I hate shooting them behind wire, I find it off putting and the thought of pranging a nice new fence is always on the cards if sods law applies :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Kip

I reckon Dan's gonna kick ur butt, :P:P My monies on Dan !!! Only pulling ur leg Kip, but i dont think you'd mind anyway. :lol: Great looking fox

Cheers Steve

:P:P:lol: Your not kiddng Steve, he's one hell of a shot with the rifle ;)

Good write up Kip.

I hate shooting them behind wire, I find it off putting and the thought of pranging a nice new fence is always on the cards if sods law applies :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I wouldn't of taken the shot for the same reason, but as Dan is still wet behind the ears, it's best to let him learn by his own mistakes ;)

Nice shooting lads looks like a bit of competition for you then kip, perhaps you should have a wager with Dan to make things more intresting

Nice shooting lads looks like a bit of competition for you then kip, perhaps you should have a wager with Dan to make things more intresting

:P:lol::lol: What more could he ask for, never has to buy ammo/rifle, and to put a wager on it :lol::P that would be too easy for me as i just stop him shooting ;);)

My previous tally for the same ground was 20 the first season(april-march, as that's when i had my .222 April 2002) and 20 for the 2nd, my third seaon was 14, i am currently on 15 since sept 2007, so this season looks to be going well, and if it means Dan shooting more than me, i will be glad, he is currently on 7 foxes for 8 shots(one he had to have a follow up shot on) so doing very well.

I have drummed it into him that if he's not happy with the shot leave it for another day :P

Archived