12 o'clock vs 45 deg spuhr secondary?

I'm contemplating selling my 512 eotech sight and replacing it with either an aimpoint h-1 or trij RMR purely to mount onto a set of spuhr rings on a sporting rifle ( the combination weighs not much more than a set of detachable steel rings). This is instead of swapping out out two systems. Now either sight will fit in both the top and 45 positions has anyone done either and what are the pros and cons. I'm not sure how easy it would be to consistently shoot with the canted position. The 512 is a fantastic sight but is too big and heavy to mount as a secondary especially on a sporting rifle, also it would look like a complete dogs dinner.

Sounds like fun. I would recommend the RMR or similar low mounted units. I was using a shield/J-Point mini sight as a close range woodland hunting unit for a while and it worked very well.

Depending on scope height, you should be able to shoot the rifle almost normally, just moving your cheek position slightly. Provided it is just being used as designed (i.e. close range, no drop compensating etc.), the fact the unit is not horizontal doesn't actually matter.

I like the look of the RMR and it has a very low footprint, the h-1 is nice also; I've shot a t-1 on an m4 several times and liked it alot but unsure for the sporting application. I think it would lend itself very well to driven and close range opertunities shot like when a deer wanders under your high seat! Had is happen a few times and not wanted to just sight down the side and ere is no chance of seeing it though the scope with parallax at 100m. I suppose if I get the sight and mount I can see for my self which position lends it self better, I'd be surprised if no one here as tried something similar before.

Archived