starting and max loads

dylan5588

According to Hodgdon data, these are suggested start and max loads for H110 and lilgun powders reloading a ,22 KHornet;

H110 start :11.5gn @ 33.100 cup, max 12,9gn @ 45,600 cup

Lilgun start : 12.5 gn @29,400 cup max 13.5gn @33,800 cup

My question is this, if the K Hornet can safely take pressures of 45,600 with the H110, why is the max for lilgun 13.5gn when it only generates 33,800 cup? With 13.5gn of lilgun loaded in the cartridge, there is ample space to take another 0.5-0.75 gn of lilgun and not compress the load.

I have worked up to the "max" 13.5gn and am achieving 3008fps and happy with that, as the lower pressures will give the thin Hornet case a longer reloading life, But just wondered if it could safely be taken any further?

Above figures, are for a 40gn Nostler bt, I am using 40gn Hornady vmax

I just cant understand why the max lilgun load produces almost the same cup figure as the starting load for H110, as you say, there must be a reason. maybe as you start to go over 13.5 grains of lilgun the pressures go up dramatically? I started off at 12.5 gn and have slowly worked up to the max of 13.5gn and the cases look fine and no signs of any over pressure issues. and the accuracy and consistency got better as the charge increased, At the moment the rifle is shooting sub 0.75 @ 100 yds and I think it is capable of sub 0.5, Its probably my shooting that is limiting it !!!!!!!Lol

I just cant understand why the max lilgun load produces almost the same cup figure as the starting load for H110, as you say, there must be a reason. maybe as you start to go over 13.5 grains of lilgun the pressures go up dramatically? I started off at 12.5 gn and have slowly worked up to the max of 13.5gn and the cases look fine and no signs of any over pressure issues. and the accuracy and consistency got better as the charge increased, At the moment the rifle is shooting sub 0.75 @ 100 yds and I think it is capable of sub 0.5, Its probably my shooting that is limiting it !!!!!!!Lol

Hi d,One of the many complexities of reloading is that rifles/cartridges often have 'accuracy nodes'-points in the powder load where accuracy increases as you approach that 'node'(ie grains) then decreases again if you increase past that load.There may be more than one such 'node'-experience has estaablished some likely ones on well explored competition loads.So you can't assume that precision will increase linearly with load-hence work up carefully,and watch for groups beginning to open up again.With care,it's part of the fun/challenge.

Gbal

Thanks for your input, I am aware that there is a "sweet spot" for want of a better word, In powder charge, jump to lands, etc etc, a long list of factors!! the thing that concerns me is, I am up to max charge, but there is still room in the cartridge for another 5 percent more powder, for all I know the accuracy could get better, or worse, but I don't want to go over the max until I know why 13.5gn is the max. A long learning curve me thinks!!!!!

Regards Adrian

Thanks for your input, I am aware that there is a "sweet spot" for want of a better word, In powder charge, jump to lands, etc etc, a long list of factors!! the thing that concerns me is, I am up to max charge, but there is still room in the cartridge for another 5 percent more powder, for all I know the accuracy could get better, or worse, but I don't want to go over the max until I know why 13.5gn is the max. A long learning curve me thinks!!!!!

Regards Adrian

Adrian,

Quick load program seems well worth a look-I'm sure someone on here will deploy it on this issue,and you may have a better answer.

Gbal

I have a .22 hornet and with 13 grains of Lil gun that's about all you can get in. I know the K is bigger but can it take more than 13.5gr in the case?

Yes about another 0.5 gns with a 40gn vmax, loaded with a 20 thou jump to the lands, it does not sound much, but in percentage terms it is.

Regards Adrian

Adrian,

Quick load program seems well worth a look-I'm sure someone on here will deploy it on this issue,and you may have a better answer.

Gbal

That would be good, if its possible

Archived