One Each

kip270

Last night was too good a chance to miss for a lamping session, and after seeing so many the other night, i grabbed the .222 and the .22rim. We were a bit later getting out, arriving at the farm just after 8pm ( i like to be out an hour just after sunset), i was the lamp man again and Dan was having the .22 for any bunnies, while i had the .222 for any Foxes that we may see.

The first field and there were a few bunnies, just out of range for the .22rim, so we put a sneak on them and got within range, but Dans shooting wasn't up to scratch and he missed three!!!! so we got to a good safe spot and Dan had some shots at some earth, the sights were spot on, so off we went again. Plenty of rabbits but all lamp shy :lol: so will have to get out after them in the early evenings with the .17hmr.

The third field has a small hedge in the middle, and as i was scanning round with the lamp i could see a set of eyes on the other side of the hedge so we made our way to a gap and had a good look around, but it had gone, fox number one had made good it's escape, one of those night i thought :lol:

We scanned every bit of field with the lamp but nothing at all, then we came across three Hares, but there are not many in our area, and unless the farmer wants me to shoot them, they will be left alone. The way that we walk the land means we come back to the first field, and then onto the other side of the farm, so i had a quick scan out into a very large field, "Bling" there were a set of eyes, roughly 400+ yards in the middle of the field, not bothered by the lamp, but intent on sniffing the ground and making it's way towards us along a hedgerow. We headed for a good firing-point, that would give me a good safe shot and also close the gap with the fox.

Off with the lamp and quick march we were off, we got to a gateway and waited, settled down on top the the gate post and Dan was the lamp man, there out in the field around 300 yards the fox was heading to the hedge, and near another gateway, which is 200 yards from gate to gate, so i settled down ready to take a shot. My heart was pounding and after the miss the other night i had to redeem myself, so i took my time and waited for the fox to stop, but it was coming close still, which was good news. We didn't bother calling as the foxes seem to bugger off when i try calling lately.

The Fox was coming closer, not bothered by the lamp at all, then Dan made the noise "Maaaa" the Fox stopped and looked, my cross-hairs were on target and "Bang" looking through the scope it's head went back and then collapsed to the ground stone dead.

I make a note of what time i shot all my Foxes and it was 10:15pm

A nice Dog Fox :(

DSC00024.jpg

I was chuffed after missing the one the other night, but no mistakes tonight.

Just after my shot Dan scanned the field and spotted another one right at the end of the field, and it looked as if it was heading the same path as the one i had just shot, so kept on it, but it headed off into a small wood, but will be there for another day.

Dan now had the .222 in case we manged to see anymore Foxes (so far i am on 8 foxes, while Dan is on 5), and we walked over a good bit of ground but nothing, so headed back to where i had shot my Fox as we had to dispose of the carcass. We got over a gate and were heading towards the patch where we left the fox, and i managed to have a scan about, and spotted a set of eyes in the filed where i had shot mine, we were a good 6-700 yards away but the Light force was reaching out there ;)

Now we were on a quick march and the wind was perfect, blowing our sent downwind of the set of eyes. We got to a fence and i scanned the field, yep still there and 100% Fox, but still a good 350 yards away, and as Dan hasn't done any long range shooting we were off to the gate to get into the filed.

Getting into the filed i scanned again and the Fox was still there, not bothered at all by the lamp, and was putting it's head down now and again, i so made up ground for a shot, hoping it wouldn't move off.

We were around 140-160 yards away, and Dan had the bi-pod on the rifle ready to get down and take the shot, but as he did, he lost sight of the fox due to the terrain. So i said to try and get closer, which we did, keeping the lamp off to the side of the Fox hoping not to spook it, and it was working, the fox not bothered by us or thee lamp.

We then got to a point where a shot would be possible, so Dan set up on the Vamint Sticks and got ready for a shot, the fox still moving it's head to the ground(mm-mm eating something!!!), it looked up and then "Bang" "Thwack" the fox dropped in it's track, a good shot at 97 yards.

Time 11:30pm

When we got to it we were both surprised to find what it had been eating ;)

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

So now the tally is Me 8, Dan 6 (I'll have to stop him shooting :lol::lol::lol: )

Hi Kip,

Good going mate, Dan must make you very proud, following in his father's footsteps, i'm looking forward to my little man getting to an age wear he can come out with me, at the moment we get tears when daddy goes for midnight maneuvers :lol:

Cheers Steve

Hi Kip,

Good going mate, Dan must make you very proud, following in his father's footsteps, i'm looking forward to my little man getting to an age wear he can come out with me, at the moment we get tears when daddy goes for midnight maneuvers :D

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve,

Can't tell you how proud i am ;) He has always been with me from about the age of four/five, shooting/fishing/hawking/ferreting, had a spell when i moved to Scotland of not seeing each other, but now we are closer than close.

He is a very safe shooter and is willing to listen, and he gets to shoot for free :D:D:blink:

Archived