They don't take lambs do they!

6mmBR

We've shot 12 foxes on this farm in the last 3 weeks so we thought all must be quiet.

We went rabbiting with the dogs on Saturday and every where we went stunk of fox.

So we planned to go out the following night and see what was about.

We arrived at the farm around 7.30 to coincide with high tide which pushes the foxes of the marsh and on to the farm land.

I parked the truck and we started to call, within seconds we saw a pair of eyes in the woods. Well this fox had to of been related to Linford Christy :( because it covered 300yds before you could blink and it was on us, Simon having to whistle loudly at it to stop it. We claimed the first fox of the night the.22-250 Aclkey making a neat job at 70yds.

DSCF0400.jpg

We moved on to some other fields about a mile away and had a look about. We found a dead ewe with all its inards ripped out, the carcass already being stripped by foxes. We moved on 2 fields and shone the lamp and there was a fox sculking up the hedge with something in its mouth. I popped the cross hairs on it and squeezed the trigger, down it went at 150yds. On examination it had been carrying a dead lamb. Looking at it, it looked like the fox had pulled the lamb from the dead ewe we had seen. She may have died during lambing and the fox had pulled the lamb out of her and made off with it.

DSCF0402.jpg

2 in the bag we were suprised, where are they coming from :) We had a look then in a field of stubble turnips, where we had shot a fox a week before.

I started to call and sure enough matey turned up all I could see was his head and a small portion of white bib sticking up above the turnips. The 52 Berger found its spot and over it went, a really dark fox this one.

DSCF0404.jpg

Well what an evening , all these foxes were dog foxes in prime condition. We just can't understand where they are coming from. We now have had 15 foxes there in 3 weeks, the land area we are shooting on is probably only 3-4 hundered acres.

We did here another fox calling on a near by farm and another gave us the slip and wouldn't come out of some thick woodland with what ever call we made.

So it looks like we'll be back out again very soon.

Off over the other side of the estuary tonight, its our busy time with lambing in full swing, the phone is red hot :(

Cheers all

Dave

Crcking write and well done on you getting yet more charlies :)

I was out myself last nite and shot a dog and vixen within 30 secs of each other on 2 different sides of a farm Track

Thats good going, were they following one another, perhaps a mated pair.

Cheers

Dave

i would say mated pair, but i would of thought the vixen would of been in the den by now so....????? - we spotted the dog first over a hedge on one side and shot him at 150yrds, as we were about to get out the truck to pick him up my mate flicked the lamp on over the other side of the track ( over a hedge) where we saw the vixen lurking about, so she had to have a bit of too!!!! :lol:

my mate flicked the lamp on over the other side of the track ( over a hedge) where we saw the vixen lurking about, so she had to have a bit of too!!!! :lol:

It would be rude not too :lol::lol:

I think some must still be looking for mates judging by the calling going on?

Could be young foxes which are lower down the sexual pecking order are out for a bit :lol::lol:

Cheers

Dave

Your right there Pat (ps welcome back) it's slightly more unusually coloured from the ones we normally get. A lot more black and the silver guard hairs stand out quite stikingly.

Cheers

Dave

Good going Dave.We are the other way.We shot more vixens than dogs at the moment.We had this happen a few ago. We shot 6 vixens in the space of about 3/4 mile.

Dogfox

Its strange isn't it. We were remarking the other night we have had a run of 12 dogs on the trot.

Never mind I don't really mind :lol:

We may catch up with a vixen tonight the other side of the estuary :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Some good shooting there lads, wish i was able to get lampin with the lambing in full swing (and the new rifle pending), however im stuck at uni trying to write a full forest management plan and dissertation so thats ball'sed up my lamb time foxing! keep the good work up!

You could have smiled Dave , glad to see that ackley is doing the bizz :lol: , have found the last week that the calling has been very good , charlies are responding well :lol:

was on a turkey farm last night and had 5 but seen another 4 but they were a bit spooky.

Will give you a bell some time, been so busy aint got to lits yet maybe friday night if I can get away from work .

Those things you were after should be back in this country middle of April so your first in line

well done ,after shooting that many, they sure must be thin on the gound now ..

Nice going Dave like the others said nice pelt on the last one,ps do you fancy sending some of those fox's up my way for my local farm,still alive of course :D

Cheers guys, its been a busy few days. We went the other side of the estuary last night and bagged another 2. Hopefully will do a write up and pics over weekend.

Cheers all.

Happy foxing

Dave

nice going dave what's the spec on the 250 iv'e got a vssf in 250 that's about ready for a new barrel never had any work like that done befor so searching for a few idea's thinking about changing the stock also do like the look of the wild dog tacticle (thumbhole)

Cheers BB

The rifle is a Rem 700 fitted with a Border Archer barrel 1in12 twist, flutted and finnished at 26" chambered in .22-250 Ackley Improved.

The stock is a Wild Dog Varmint stock in Grass 01 pattern, I love this stock to bits :D

Load details are

With a fireformed case 43gns Vit N550, Fed gold match primer and a 52gn Berger BTHPM bullet seated 10 thou off the lands.

Out of the 26" tube this load gave an average of 4030fps. It is so flat shooting you can virtually aim dead on a fox out to 300yds to get a hit :D

This has become my favourite foxing rifle :D

Cheers

Dave

Archived