Rifle Case and Flying

Currently I have a Dosko SE rifle case:

http://www.dosko.co.uk/se.htm

And the standard case supplied when I bought the Mannlicher. Both are plastic in construction with egg box foam as a filler. The Mannlicher case is thicker and more padded.

I am soon to be taking a rifle on board a plan for a flight and am worried both my cases are not up for the job. I certainly wont be using the dosko case on the flight.

Has anyone any experience of flying with rifles, how are they handled, do I need a solid/stronger case?

For info I am flying BA and it is an internal UK flight, Gatwick to Scotland.

Jerry

Jerry

I have not used either of the cases you mention but check that they are 'Airline Approved' type.

I use a Napier case - metal framed with board sides and foam lining and simple number locks.. But after it has been checked-in I add a good bit of heavy parcel tape - just to make sure the locks stay shut if dropped and then put it inside the cardboard box it came in. .... Overkill maybe, it does not look like a guncase and it still has a good few dents but the guns have never been damaged and they have enough flights to earn their own frequent flyer card.

Apparently firearms are "hand loaded" on the plane by the security staff and should not travel on the baggage wagon or carousel........ often!!!

I do not use Heathrow, so cannot comment on their methods.

happy travellin

jon

Jerry,

All baggage chuckers are b******s, part of the job description.They will be more than happy to ruin whatever they can.

So far Hardigg Storm iM 3300 cases have survived very well, they are resin based so pick up scratches easily but give a lot of protection. They are not light either. Other than storm, Peli.

Hardigg Storm have a UK factory, aand service has been top notch. After a flight one hinge was showing signs of stress - they sent me a whole new case and foam with free postage to Europe - Free, I also got to keep the old case. From my experience very a good product and excellent customer service.

David.

Jerry

I have not used either of the cases you mention but check that they are 'Airline Approved' type.

I use a Napier case - metal framed with board sides and foam lining and simple number locks.. But after it has been checked-in I add a good bit of heavy parcel tape - just to make sure the locks stay shut if dropped and then put it inside the cardboard box it came in. .... Overkill maybe, it does not look like a guncase and it still has a good few dents but the guns have never been damaged and they have enough flights to earn their own frequent flyer card.

Apparently firearms are "hand loaded" on the plane by the security staff and should not travel on the baggage wagon or carousel........ often!!!

I do not use Heathrow, so cannot comment on their methods.

happy travellin

jon

Hmmm, what does "airline approved" mean?? Is it the same for all carriers? I better ring BA to see what they say.

Thanks

Jerry

So far Hardigg Storm iM 3300 cases have survived very well, they are resin based so pick up scratches easily but give a lot of protection. They are not light either. Other than storm, Peli.

Hardigg Storm have a UK factory, aand service has been top notch. After a flight one hinge was showing signs of stress - they sent me a whole new case and foam with free postage to Europe - Free, I also got to keep the old case. From my experience very a good product and excellent customer service.

David.

Cheers David, will hae a look at them....

Jerry

Archived