Donor Rifles

chester

When you guys are looking for a donor rifle for your various projects, what factors are you looking for within the donor rifle, to make sure its up for the job?

Long term I would love to go down the 17ah route, but not sure if I should save up for a cooper or look to go down this route?

Any advice will be gratefully recieved

Cheers

Chester

Donor rifle?

Well for me it would be overall action condition, bolt lug condition, ease of rebarreling, availablity of aftermarket parts and price.

one thing I would look at is cal's

if you are wanting say a 308, for its many good reasons when you have finished building it such as barrel life, accuracy etc etc then a 308 donor is proberbly not the best cal donor action as it will have seen a lot of use because of its high round count

however, find a 243 for example, that has a much lower round count per barrel and the action will proberbly be near mint because of this but they share the same action as the 308 so getting it re-barreld to 308 is no probs

remys of c reg are supposed to be very good so I hear as they were a first run off a new machine (so I have heard)

its also worth considering a long action for short round if one comes up

what I mean is if you see a long action rifle you can still use this for say a 308

there are people that say "oh long action's are not as good" and all that crap but they have never used one

my 300 is a long action and she has a massive fat long tube hanging off her that does sub 1/4"@100 so they cant be that flimsy and is probs more hear say

look at the army m24 sniper rifle,,, its a long actioned 308/7.62 and is guaranteed to shoot sub 1/4" right out the box with fed premium of black hills so no-one can say it wont work

shooting that good is hard with custom rigs and handloads let a lone factory rounds but have a look and you'll find that it comes with that guarantee

sexy looking stick too

Serial number of action starts with a letter.

C is supposed to be a good vintage - I think thats what Silent meant.

Have to say I wasnt aware of any better year than another.

I just buy my donors on condition as seen and go from there.

ok the story is a machine and its tooling get used for thousands and proberbly a thousand more until its time to get put aside is up

then another machine and its tooling get up an running and the cycle continues

my 300 action is a G reg so it was produced in 1986 but I bought it as new a few years ago

the G reg machine is supposed to go back into action in 2012 if you look at varmartin's link

apparrantly there was a problem with the C reg machine (or the machine thats used to make C) and was replaced in 1982 so all actions out of that machine are to new tool tight tols

thats the story as I read it but for all I know it may be a pile of poo but when you look at how they have worked out the serial number thing on their chart it does get you thinking anyhows

it is a fact that a 308 going way more round than a 243 would be in more used condition so like I say a 243 action for example will normally be better/newer for use as a donor

Interesting point about the serial numbers. My G is the same as yours Martin, G reg with J lock yet bought new in 2004.

Do's anybody actually use the J lock? :lol:

I wondered if the parts were selected depending on final model as previously I had an ADL and the action and chamber were definetly tighter in the current VS. I had to resize the leftover adl ammo to fit this rifle.

It wouldn't do if the cheaper models out shot the dear ones would it :lol:

Just a thought, might be totally on the wrong track though :lol:

Archived