6x284/ 6.5x284

v-max

Hello i have been hearing a bit of the 284 cartridge in 6.5 with its good bullet choice.My mate is now into range shooting & was on about them & i saw 1 today & quite liked the round & its vesatilaty with bullet weights.

What is the 284 bit & what like a round is it for deer/fox work & is it a barrel eater? & is it good for a range rifle?

I have a 25/06 would i gain any change to this round over the 25cal that i like so well.

This is the frightener Martin, 800 rds and a set back !!!!, bit steep for me, couple of thousand ok, but you could be into 4 barrels a year at that rate. The 6.5 x 47 seems to be the better bet now, not that I'm any expert in this but the lads on here seem to be very happy with it and barrel life seems to be about normal.

"Barrel life is a key issue for 6.5-284 shooters, because barrels can loose their accuracy edge in as little as 800 rounds, though 1000 rounds is more typical. But don't throw away that barrel merely because the groups start opening up. Sometimes some aggressive throat polishing can restore much of the accuracy, and you can get hundreds more rounds of useful life by having the barrel set back.John Hoover reports: "I've had many barrels set back 1". Nearly always they shoot as well or better than before."

Redfox

Hello i have been hearing a bit of the 284 cartridge in 6.5 with its good bullet choice.My mate is now into range shooting & was on about them & i saw 1 today & quite liked the round & its vesatilaty with bullet weights.

What is the 284 bit & what like a round is it for deer/fox work & is it a barrel eater? & is it good for a range rifle?

I have a 25/06 would i gain any change to this round over the 25cal that i like so well.

I have both calibres (25-06 and 6.5x284) and have done for a few years now using them on deer and foxes of all sizes (deer that is not fox)

The 25-06 is an awesome :lol: (phrase used too much) round out to 300 yards and further however it is limited by bullet weight, of no more than 120g (unless you get custom made bullets from Canada)

Iusually use either 100 g speer or 117g Hornady's, both drop animals very well, but I personally feel that the 257 calibre is a bit light on reds (just my opinion)

That being said, I will always have a 25-06, accurate, easy shooting and effective.

The 6.5x284 case was introduced a few years ago in the BR scene and excelled (untill the WSM's came along - now theres a roll back to 284's)

Throated to shoot 140grain bullets it is a phenomenaly accurate long range round and I used to use mine as a target and deer rifle up untill recently where accuracy has dropped off.

It used to shoot in the .3's, it now shoots .5's - thats after 2000 rounds, I would suggest that anyone losing accuracy after 800 is shooting repeated long strings and you pay the concequences if you do this.

I like both (I have both) and will keep both.

Archived