Rem 700 pps? second hand?

I have a chance to pick up a second hand remmi pps for 500 quid in .243 win. Its a cal I am considering and the rifle seems in real good nick with little work done, crown etc is in very good nick dont have a borescope so couldnt get a look down it so its always a gamble. I was looking at a tactical .308 but I am leaning towards the .243 for target to 600 yards and some foxing as well as deer (I know the .308 will kill foxes but its a bit much). I was hoping on a custom setup but due to other stuff I need to put this on hold for a year and a half so i am thinking this would be a good project rifle for the future, its not costing a big lot and I can just try my best to burn the barrel out and have it re-barrled/stocked and possibly blueprinted when I have the cash + its just about perfect for the ranges my club use which only go out to 600 yards. Also being a 700 there is massive choice for upgrading which is a big +. So do you think its a good price on the rifle? The only bit of damage I can find is that one of the front sling swivels has been hit a fair old whack and cracked around it slightly, just looks like its been hit hard at an akward angle and cracked a little half circle around the outside, there are 2 swivles up front though. I cant find much info about it i.e how much it cost brand new so dont know if 500 quid is a good price or not.

should have added its actually the PSS NOT the SPS

I cant find out any info on how much shooting its done, which is one of my doubts about it, also I am wondering how much one is new now, I cant find anything about it and couldnt see it costing much more than 750-800 new, in which case 500 quid wouldnt be all that good a deal.

for sure

about 780 ish new

243 has a round life of about 2000 rounds, less if pushed hard, more if its been a gentle life

will still shoot after this but this round count is what is considered for a 243

for the price of a new pss with no guarantee of how they shoot these days compared to a doner gun and custom bbl, throat, twist, grooves etc theres nothing between them

I recently sold a 243 to a friend of mine, it was a 700 vls (heavy bbl exactly the same as pss) cut down to 24" in a near mint cond with lam stock for 280

I sold it to him as a doner rifle explaining that it will need to be rebarreled in the near future but he is still shooting sub .5moa and it will proberbly last him a year or two like it is

yeah sounds a bit steep, I thought that, the guy in the shop was giving me the hard sell, he knew I was after a .243, and when I came in it had a price tag of 650 on it :rolleyes: but said I could have it for 500 quid, was a bit dubious about that, then he started looking through the back of the action up the barrel telling me the barrel doesnt look like its done much :rolleyes: I just agreed, I know the guy well and know he would sell the shirt of his back if you would buy it so never trust him much think i willl keep on looking and give it a miss. Thanks

If a keeper has had the rifle it may still look imaculate yet have a shot out barrel because it may not be that old but it may have had a lot of use. I took a mate of mine to the local gun shop to get his first full bore rifle and he came away with a Remington 700 cant remember the exact model, wooden stock. Any way the guy in the shop told us he had sold it from new and it was only 18 months old and had fired less than 200 rounds. I said no problem if we take it and it does not shoot sub inch can we bring it back the guy in the shop agreed and the rifle has turned out to be a cracker and he has shot a lot of deer with it. It might be worth you trying to get a chance to shoot the rifle before you buy or get a similar guarantee from the guy in the shop.

Dave

Too much for a 243 in unknown barrel condition.....

If you want a 243 to reach to 700 you need to be looking at 100 - 115 grain bullets and you wont send them off in a standard twist barrel.

The PSS is a standard S/A in a HS Stock (which has two swivels up front) nothing more.

Get a cheap ADL / BDL, find a 2nd hand HS Stock or buy an aftermarket and have it rebarrelled. - instant semi custom.

You could always go for a 243AI throated for 115 Dtacs, which would be lovely (barrel burner, but good all the same)

Does the PSS not have the full length Aluminium bedding block like the VSF and the VSSF?

Dave

It does, just like any other HS stock, and some of the Bell and Carlsons.

Archived