safety problem

I have a barnard action that has done about 800 rounds and all of a sudden the safety wouldnt engage when the bolt had been recycled and the trigger wouldnt pull! I tried to put safety on when the bolt was open and that was fine HOWEVER when I took the safety off the gun fired (empty by now!!).

I have repeated the exercise a few times and the only way I can get the weapon to cock is with the bolt open, put safety on, close bolt, safety off and trigger releases!!

HELP!!!!!!!

Have you got the correct trigger hanger for a jewel trigger? The jewel needs to be slightly further forward than a Remington on a Barnard S. Sounds like the cocking piece is jamming on top of the sear rather than behind it and so when the safety is released it will fire. If you undo the knurled cap on the back of the bolt about half a turn it will allow the cocking piece room to stay to further back. Probably this has always been loose on your rifle and it has recently tightened up. I've seen jewels attacked with an angle grinder to overcome this but the correct way is to get the right trigger hanger. Barnard took ages to realise this problem, I used to cnc batches of hangers with the mounting holes in the correct place but they have now produced the correct hanger and you spec it when you order an action.

Many thanks! I have tightened the trigger pull a little and also turned the knurled bit and all seems well at the moment!!

I think you are right in that stuff has moved over time. I will check the trigger hanging thing but infact it has been fine for a year and 800 shots

Abolter,

Could I suggest giving the trigger a really good clean out with mild solvent then a light re-lube.

If the rifle was working then just stopped would suggest the basic design is OK so look at simple things first - 'if you hear the sound of hooves don't look for Zebras!' :)

Terry

Archived