Retro Rifles - (Enfield Enforcer or M85)

I'm fancying an old school rifle like the Parker Hale M85 or the Enfield Enforcer or similar. Some thing a bit retro and classic looking.

But I'd like one in near new condition / unused condition.

Where's the best place to get one ?

Has anyone owned one of these and what are they like of accuracy ?

Kind Regards

Rob

I have a Parker Hale M82 with it's original Kahles ZF scope , It shoots superbly.It was the sniper rifle of choice for Canada and New Zealand .I shoot with milsurp and my reloads and it shoots sub minute of angle out to the scopes max setting.The scope is factory calibrated to the Nato 7.62 168gr sniper round and my reloads reflect that..

I had an enforcer and wish I still did , there are so many fake ones out there that I wouldn't buy one now unless it had a full and complete history which was checkable , like the No4Ts' that are appearing.

I think that the M85 is excellent , if I could find one I could afford I'd get one as well as my M82. :)

I would say your chances of getting a M85 are virtually nil to no chance.

Two members of the PSSA based at Sealand Ranges have one each and one of them bought his from Norman Clark after being on a waiting list, the other bought bits and pieces and had it built. The one bought from Norman Clark was a minter with its transit case and all the bits. If I was looking for one I would start with Norman Clark, Fultons and Sporting Services

Also at the Shooting Show was a sniper rifle collectors club (I've forgot what it was called), I'd join and put it out your after one.

I believe also there is a register on one of the Enfield Rifle sites, I'd contact them and put it out your after one

Good luck you wil need it!

LRC, try Chris Goodwin at C & G Firearms in Harpenden. Without a doubt the best at either finding or building what you are after. He only deals in the the real thing and imports / exports worldwide.

I was with Chris just last week and some of his stock had me drooling !!

Well worth a call.

Apart from Norman Clark are there any companies who could put together a L42A1 / Parker Hale T4, look alike from unissued parts ?

Bob Burbage (RFD) in Arundel has an L42A1 which belonged to a mate who passed away about 4 weeks ago, it sold last year for £7200!

Thames Valley Guns will build you a faux L42A1, IIRC he was a REME armourer.

Have you thought about an L39A1 and put a no gunsmithing picatinny rail on the top??

OK , I have no experience with the Lee Enfield Enforcers , ie the 308 Lee Enfields , BUT I do have with the M85 , and its a very under rated rifle , and of the OLD school sniper rifles , I rate as the top of the heap .

Having said that , they are quite rare , it also does not hepl that anit-gun GovTs like the UKs , instead of selling ex-service/police rifles , they are destoryed/chopped up , thats criminal , a waste of tax payers money & resources .

You could make something close to the function of a Parker Hale M85 or McMillan M89 , both of these use a double feed/double stack 10rd mag ( chopped down M14 mag ) .

I would use a US Defiance action with the AW mag cut , this is a action similar to a Surgeon but with ramping for a double feed AI AW 10rd mag , ie it has a one piece bolt , an intgrel rail and recoil lug .

Drop it into either a McMillan McHale stock or a Manners Folder , use a lit contour barrel like the M85 , use a Ase Utara SL-7 suppressor with borelock muzzle brake , use some back up iron sights from a AR-15 rifle & a Ph bipod and you are DONE .

Or use a British action , IF they are OK with moding it to use the 10rd AI AW magazine .

Later Chris

Archived