Bit of an odd one-Anyone have any load data for lead bullets in 270 WSM?

Raifuru

I'd suggest IMR Trail Boss which is an ideal powder for this sort of application. Here's a link to Hodgdon's own method for getting a load for any cartridge loaded with a lead bullet or reduced power load with jacketed bullets.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I would use cast bullet data from a 270 Winchester. A light load with Unique or the like. Trail boss will at minimum develop 38,000psi with a 130 grain jacketed bullet according to Hodgdon's, and 47,000psi with a full charge. Unless you have very hard bullets, like head treated wheel weight, you will exceed the strength of the alloy and lead your barrel. (Heat treated 9:1 wheel weight/linotype will only withstand 44K before going plastic)

No matter what load you choose, make sure your barrel is as copper free as possible. Jacket fouling can greatly inhibit accuracy.~Andrew

I would add make sure the lead fouling is removed before firing jacketed rounds again

Unless you truly lead the bore to the point where you can't see through it, this isn't necessary. The first jacketed round will take out any residue....which, if your bullet is well fit and of the proper alloy and fired at the proper pressures... should be near zero. There was a time when the cure for a badly leaded bore was to fire a jacketed bullet through it. It works, but I never liked the practice. Being a dedicated cast bullet shooter I figured putting nasty copper through the gun was taking a step backwards.~Andrew

Archived