Once fired brass??

247sniper

Hi guys,

I have just acquired some once shot brass for my .204 shot in a difference chamber/rife then mine.

I normally neck sized my brass but I do have full length dies also.

What would you guys advise, and what do you normally do, shall I full length size and trim to normal length etc, or should I fl size then neck size to give the same neck tension as my normal brass.

What is the norm guys?

Steve.

Hi guys,

I have just acquired some once shot brass for my .204 shot in a difference chamber/rife then mine.

What would you guys advise, and what do you normally do, shall I full length size and trim to normal length etc, or should I fl size then neck size to give the same neck tension as my normal brass.

What is the norm guys?

Steve.

Before doing any of that, once fired or not, i'd clean them up and look at them closely with my led magnifying glass.

As for sizing, i'd fl size them as their now fire formed to a different chamber. That way they're as near as factory as possible. Then you can fire form them to your gun. I'd be surprised if they've stretched in length if they are genuine "once fired", But best keep it safe and make sure they're in the recommended parameters.

Incidently, what have you found to be the most accurate load for your .204? The .204 bullets seem to like a bit of a jump to the lands. At least my gun does....

atb

Jamie

Hiya Jamie, that is for that mate.

My 204 like basically likes any load I put through it! The worst accuracy I found when load developing was still half MOA @ 100 yards! I am currently shooting 25.4 grain of Reloader 10 with a 39 SBK... Awesome accuracy, like bug hole groups at 100 yards and tiny groups at 200-300 yards and surprisingly awesome groups at 500 yards. All load development was done at standard length too, so there might be some truth in what you are saying, mine is a custom barrel as well. Had mine out the other night for the first time in a few months, ranged a rabbit at 310 yards dialled in range an wind and took his head clean off! Awesome!

What's your load and data etc?

Steve.

Hi Steve a word of caution in using once fired brass from another gun/chamber! I have a brand new Howa 1500 in 308 and was given some Lapua brass from a friend who used it in his Remington 700 so gave them to me as mines 308 so I assumed that fell length sizing would have been enough to bring them back to sammi spec so I sized de-primed cleaned and prepped them then loaded 48 for a load work up for the 178gn A-max heads. I went down the range with some ppu ammo to do the recommended barrel break-in procedure, the bolt felt a little tight to lock them down so I just put it down to being a new riffle and was advised by a member of my club that it was perfectly normal. Now I get down to start the load test with the Lapua brass the first one was very tight to lock the bolt down I fired that one off and it wouldn't eject so pushed it out with rod loaded the second and that was really tight also and again it didn't eject so removed that one and got the ro at the time tony his name a good guy so with him I loaded a third round and it was really tight so this time I didn't fire it I just open bolt and again it got stuck and I had to force that out as well I took the bolt out and the bolt face was brass in colour! tony asked where the brass was from so I told him and he said that was the problem that it was fire formed to my friends rifle and even full length sizing wouldn't bring the base of the brass back enough to be useable in my gun! he said I would need to put them through a small base die to bring the base down so I can fire them, im new to reloading and didn't have this problem with my 223 but he said my howa must have quiet a tight chamber which he said is good but iv got to invest in some new brass to get the full benefit from reloading. sorry a bit of an essay but had to run you through the experience I had so you don't load rounds which are potentially not useable without more work being done to them.

Rick

Hi guys,

What is the norm guys?

Steve.

Hi Steve

I have done this a few times for my 204 without any problems.

I first clean and inspect the cases then full length size them with a redding body die.

My die is set to bump the shoulder back about .002 from a fired case in my chamber.

I then neck size the cases and check the length and trim if needed.

I also like to cycle each case in the rifle to make sure the bolt closes easily before loading them.

Hi Steve

I first clean and inspect the cases then full length size them with a redding body die.

My die is set to bump the shoulder back about .002 from a fired case in my chamber.

I also like to cycle each case in the rifle to make sure the bolt closes easily before loading them.

+1 That is sound advice there....

Hi Steve

+1 That is sound advice there....

Hiya Jamie, that is for that mate.

My 204 like basically likes any load I put through it! The worst accuracy I found when load developing was still half MOA @ 100 yards! I am currently shooting 25.4 grain of Reloader 10 with a 39 SBK... Awesome accuracy, like bug hole groups at 100 yards and tiny groups at 200-300 yards and surprisingly awesome groups at 500 yards. All load development was done at standard length too, so there might be some truth in what you are saying, mine is a custom barrel as well. Had mine out the other night for the first time in a few months, ranged a rabbit at 310 yards dialled in range an wind and took his head clean off! Awesome!

What's your load and data etc?

Steve.

I use 32 grain Hornady V-Max heads and Hornady 40 grain V-Max heads. All are fire formed and next sized.

My 32's are Winchester brass, CCI 400 small rifle primers, 28 grains of IMI 8208 XBR. Round length by Ogive is 1.896".

.429" moa.

My 40's are Winchester brass, CCI 400 small rifle primers, 30 grains of Hodgdon BL-C (2). Round length to Ogive is also 1.896"

.287" moa.

Going on your imput, your clearly a better shot than me... :blush:

Never used Reloader 10, or 39 SBK's. It's obviously cheaper to run with you using only 25.4 grains. I'm going to the CLA show at Ragley Hall next weekend, so i'll look out for some of the powder and ammo you use..

atb

Jamie

Archived