Moderator Choice (calibre specific)

I hope someone has the definitive answer to this query.

If I bought a moderator for my Sako TRG-22 would it be Ok for a .284 assuming the threads are the same?

I hope someone has the definitive answer to this query.

If I bought a moderator for my Sako TRG-22 would it be Ok for a .284 assuming the threads are the same?

Assuming FAC authority and fitting (same threads etc) are appropriate,a moderator used on a 308 should be ok on a 284

To the best of my knowledge there is no legal reason why not. Most mods are made for up to a given calibre ;ie up to 6mm or 30 cal

The reason I put FAC authority is that there might just be an issue if the moderator has been proofed and marked with a calibre.It is a little unclear ay first,as sonic says,many new moderators are marked as "up to 30 cal' eg-presumably ok downwards...I would check the general position with your FLO or BASC etc.There are differing intepretations (eg about proof etc) and informal ,maybe even 'professional' advice,

but the buck stops with the user/owner,not the advisor,as ever.Better to know officially.

Gbal

From how I make it out after chatting to my Licencing dept after using several 'moderator' slots to 'one for one' to rifles,

A moderator is a 'separate entity' ie, if you have a .30 cal mod, then it's useable on all rifles up to and including .30 cal as long as it is suitable, ie, fits.

The 'specific' part of the Licencing is with the conditions for the rifle itself,

If the condition says,

The xxx rifle, SOUND MODERATOR, and ammunition can be used for blah blah blah, then any mod that is suitable for use can be used,

but,

if you have one with the condition,

The xxx rifle and ammunition can be used for blah blah, then you are then committing an offence by fitting a mod, wether the barrel is threaded and your mod fits and works, or not.

You will be breaking the conditions by fitting one to it.

Wilts are now starting to put 'fullbore moderator' instead of cal specific on tickets now which alleviates the issue of having a mod listed as a .30 cal fitted to a .243 for instance.

Pete

From how I make it out after chatting to my Licencing dept after using several 'moderator' slots to 'one for one' to rifles,

A moderator is a 'separate entity' ie, if you have a .30 cal mod, then it's useable on all rifles up to and including .30 cal as long as it is suitable, ie, fits.

The 'specific' part of the Licencing is with the conditions for the rifle itself,

If the condition says,

The xxx rifle, SOUND MODERATOR, and ammunition can be used for blah blah blah, then any mod that is suitable for use can be used,

but,

if you have one with the condition,

The xxx rifle and ammunition can be used for blah blah, then you are then committing an offence by fitting a mod, wether the barrel is threaded and your mod fits and works, or not.

You will be breaking the conditions by fitting one to it.

Wilts are now starting to put 'fullbore moderator' instead of cal specific on tickets now which alleviates the issue of having a mod listed as a .30 cal fitted to a .243 for instance.

Pete

Thanks for this ,Pete.About what I understood too .

What Wilts are doing should help.

Basic point is always check with your Licensing Office to see just where they are on this-they are there to help and clarify,and are generally helpful not obstructive at all.They have after all got to sort out the nonuniformity of manufactures' markings,if any.

Good clarification about each rifle being individually cleared-or not-for use with a (suitable/authorised for that rifle) moderator.

Gbal

No problem. I just wish the 99% of beat coppers knew even half the firearm law I do, but then, I've done the research and study. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I know it all, but I do have a better than fair understanding of it. Needs must an all :)

What would be good is if there was a comprehensive 'Q&A' website that could clear up most of the issues people have, with definitive answers, not 'guidelines' that forces interpret differently.

For instance, if you are otherwise fulfilling the requirements for having a sec1 firearm along with ammunition suitable for that firearm in a public place, does it 'have' to be in a slip ?

Try finding a definitive answer for that, that doesn't vary force to force

It's a minefield out there........

No problem. I just wish the 99% of beat coppers knew even half the firearm law I do, but then, I've done the research and study. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I know it all, but I do have a better than fair understanding of it. Needs must an all :)

What would be good is if there was a comprehensive 'Q&A' website that could clear up most of the issues people have, with definitive answers, not 'guidelines' that forces interpret differently.

For instance, if you are otherwise fulfilling the requirements for having a sec1 firearm along with ammunition suitable for that firearm in a public place, does it 'have' to be in a slip ?

Try finding a definitive answer for that, that doesn't vary force to force

It's a minefield out there........

I get the impression that some shooters are less well informed.

There are real downsides to definitive requirements-in general,it's to everyone's advantage to have some discretion(what those who have not perhaps thought it through call 'random variation' in interpretation.)

Is not a slip just sensible-as well as facilitating actually carrying it?It's a little more discreet too,tho not much,but what is the argument against the slip?esp if it rains!

A long list of compulsory requirements and their specification(what is a slip,exactly?) would be a bigger nightmare,and serve no purpose.

'Reasonable precautions' etc and common sense do the job-I am inclined to suggest some of the comments made by shooters are not always well considered,and often are made without full knowledge of individual circumstances-is a highland keeper walking along 25 yards of public highway with no other human habitation within 3 miles quite the same as someone walking along the High Street?

What is the sensible 'slip' position in these cases?Is it the same?

The Q&A facility exists,not just for a set of questions,but for anything you need clarified-it's called the FLO !!

atb

Gbal

Yes, although I agree that it is sensible to use a slip, there is nothing in firearms law requiring it, but you can still be 'had' by other laws,

as for the FLO, yes, but again, that comes down to individual interpretation. Ask Mr x from one dept his interpretation of 'occupier' and it will be different than Mr x from another, and sometimes, even the same dept.

Now going off topic somewhat, so I'll leave it as is,

Regards

Pete

Archived