Leupold advice

swatty

Hi all I have just bought a second hand vx 111 6.5*20*50 which is to sit on my 22.250 as its the first scope I've owned that's got target turrets is there any thing different when it comes to mounting then zeroing etc . Also what would anyone say the value is of the scope it's in good order missing a bit of paint here and there etc but that's it came with sunshade etc thanks Brian

It not illuminated dot but has box etc shows a few signs of use but other than a odd paint chip it's good nick and I only give £250 for it so don't think I've done bad . When you say zero like normal then loosen off Allen key on turrets what then I know its probably a stupid question but when its a completely new set up then its best to ask

You got a bargain there, just take off the turret covers and zero as you would normally, when you're happy with the zero you will see three allen grub screws at 12,4,8 o'clock positions,undo these and turn the turret so zero is back by the mark, then tighten grub screws and start dialling, I have the same scope on my .22-250 and will never change it

Just one thing, at that price (a real bargain) are you sure its genuine?

You can contact Leupold with the serial number and they will tell you if it is or if it is a clone

Mark

Yes I'm 100% sure its genuine shame it didn't come with instructions etc and the Allen key for turrets I have to admit it does look good sat on top of my rifle just need to sort out a load and start playing about . Ill admit I'm pretty excited about wiping the smiles of them crows that now know that they are safe if the fly out to 300 yards plus

Yes I'm 100% sure its genuine shame it didn't come with instructions etc and the Allen key for turrets I have to admit it does look good sat on top of my rifle just need to sort out a load and start playing about . Ill admit I'm pretty excited about wiping the smiles of them crows that now know that they are safe if the fly out to 300 yards plus

Enjoy,while you can.

Soon the crows will be at 400+,and you'll need another cartridge-nice scopes though-and just shows that you don't need £1500 for the tool for the job!!

Gbal

Zero and re-set dials to 0 on the counter. Then check your vertical alignment, if the vertical stadia is not 100% true you will track off as the range increases one way and off the opposite way as it decreases. To check vertical alignment pick a day with no wind changes and place a plain paper target with no marks on it at all (it will need to be set up firmly without any waggle) as far out as you can shoot a very good group. Now with a spirit level and black marker scribe a perfect vertical line down the centre with a centre reference cross to aim at. Ok, now shoot a 3 shot group into that aim point, then dial as low as your scope or paper allows- fire another group holding the same central aim point as the first. Repete again but this time dial high. What shouldn't happen is 1 st group central, 2nd left, 3rd right, if it does you need to re-align the scope in its mounts to correct. Its suprising how many so called nil wind days give you a bit of drift, the important thing is you are not crossing the line with the low and high groups if your first centre group is good- all 1" off to the same side is fine and can be taken as wind or initial zero error on windage

Next check the scope tracks back to zero by shooting a box. Again shoot a group direct to zero, then dial quite fully as the paper allows right counting the adjustment (write it down) and shoot your second group. Now dial low counting the clicks and shoot a third group. Then back left the exact same number as you came right for a 4th group. You maybe guessed the 5th group is dialled back up and should make you 1st group into a tidy 6 shot group! Not tracking back is quite common even on some decent scopes- you need to know or you will constantly be loosing you base zero after adjustments for range and wind. It might be counter acted by removing backlash via over correcting and back - but on a new scope or a Leupold with its lifetime warranty I should return it for repair.

Once all is good compile your data pertaining to wind, range, load, pressure etc. and practice

Archived