Brians first deer.

Last weekend was very special one for my good friend and lamping partner Brian.

We were on a bit of a mission to get Brian his first deer. Last year foot and mouth put paid to a few trips we had tried to organise :( so very kindly Keith and Ray invited us down for a bit of stalking and to see if we could break Brians virginity :(

Well weather wise we could not of scripted it better, driving down the M5 in glorious sunshine filled us with hope.

After a good cooked breakfast we met up with Keith and we chatted about the plans. He said that there were a few roe showing in the Glyn Valley so of we went.

We entered the wood about an hour and a half before dark. The plan being to leave me in a low seat and Brian and Keith would stalk around me, anything they bumped would come back and cross the bank I was watching. Off they went and I settled down with my 6.5x47 Lapua to wait.

After around an hour off waiting and I must admit in that evening sun I had started to doze :P

I looked up there were 4 roe on the bank in front of me, a small family group I shot the lead doe and one of the youngsters was confused and circled the doe allowing me another shot. This was a good start to the weekend :P Brian and Keith returned they had seen 7 roe on there trip around the wood but could not get on them.

The plan was to go out the following morning this time up in the Tamar Valley to see if we could get on some reds and also catch up with Ray.

Brian had poll position next morning in a cracking high seat called Britneys ( thats another story Linda AKA Rays Little Sniper may like to shed some light on that :lol: ) which over looks a grass bank on the edge of a plantation, this is a bit of a deer motorway.

Brian got into postion before dawn and I went off for a bit of a mooch about to see what turned up in some stubble fields. There was plenty of signs but I didn't see anything.

On our return there was a very proud Brian and a beautiful roe doe :P .

He said early on a buck and a doe had come through but did not stop for a shot, then at 8.15 2 does came out and one presented the perfect shot. Brians .308 Howa loaded with 125gn Noslers did the trick.

DSCF0397.jpg

He was one very happy man and I hope he'll add his own thoughts to this thread :P

I would like to thank Keith for giving us this opportunity to get Brians first deer which will be a very special memory for both of us. Also I would like to thank Ray for his help and for keeping us entertained, it's only now my ribs have stopped aching :unsure:

Cheers guys for a fab weekend.

Dave

Glad you guys had a great time and a wonderful memory of your first deer - well done Brian!!!! ;) ;)

As always it was a pleasure to see you Dave and a pleasure to meet Brian too , and like you say a good laugh too!!! :o;)

Well done fellas...........................

All the best........................

RAY.............................................. :D;)

Having now got over the exitement of my first deer, the first of many I hope, Iwould like to thank Dave 6mmbr for organising the weekend. Keith for his expertice in putting me in the right spot and giving me so much usefull information, and Ray for a entertaining weekend. A great weekend, thanks to you all.

Nice write up Dave , glad to see that the old 6.5 is doing the bizzz ;)

Brian looks over the moon , shame you didnt get him blooded, has he got the Deer bug now :)

Will speak soon Andy

Glad you had a good weekend boys!

Well Britneys - the story starts some 2 years ago, when I wanted to shoot my red! My husband David sat in a high seat in Northlew - I had sat there the previous two evenings and seen nothing, I wanted to stalk over the road where I had shot my first roe buck, before we had time to exit the vehicle, the phone rang - David had shot his first red - the air was blue and divorce was mentioned! Next visit David said in the high seat (now known as Britneys), guess what he shot another - so WHOOPS I'VE DONE IT AGAIN - hense the name Britneys, the word B*****D was used by myself I have to admit. The next day - yes he did it again, so the high seat is now named.

Hope to catch up with you all one day.

Take care

Linda

Well done to you & if you were with me i would have bled you as it's tradition up here when you shoot your first.

To be honest we were on such a high to get Brian his first deer it did not even cross our minds at the time.

Cheers

Dave

Archived