Ask Ratwhiskers when hes next online, he used 87gr VMax's for roe before he got his 7mm-08, not sure how he got on with them tho.

i shot a roe with a 55gr from my 22-250 ( fortuantly i ive north of the border) and i wouldnt do it again, thankfully it was a neck shot, so i didnt destroy the shoulder, dont get me wrong he it was like hitting him with a sledge hammer, but mess.... i would personally leave the VMax for foxes and long range rabbitin and get hold of some good quality soft noses if your body shot'ing deer.

Shrek

Hello dont know far to put my neck out here & i know that they are a varmint bullet & nosler do varmint & hunting BT heads.I live in Scotland & used them many a time & taken gold medal roe bucks with them in 22.250 in 55g & they are fine on the carcase infact better than some SP-bullets iv used.I have used them in the 25/06 in 75g to good afect & took my first bronze medal with it but i have now started using SP/hunting bullets better designed for the job due to being moaned at on other forms & mainly legal reasons but deer can come under vermin in some of my places so a bit tricky really.

As for a load in the 243 use VARGET 36g cci primmer.

I have been shooting the 87gr V max for the past 5 years, on roe/fox. Over 180 Roe shot in the past 2 years and not one of them moved after the round struck. 95% of my shots are neck shots with the remaining being in the heart. When hit in the boiler room you get a single entry wound and no exit. The heart/lungs will be shredded and no carcase damage what so ever. JMHO but this round is (in my 243 AI) ideally suited to Roe and i will continue to use it untill THE ROUND proves me wrong. I have never seen any meet damage of large exit holes in roe like i have in Fox with this round. Just load them up accurate and neck shoot them @ 100yrds. You'll be surprised.

Adam

I would side with Auquhollie,

some might say going down the V-max route on deer would be reckless, in fact i would almost agree.

But i will put my hands up and say i have used the 87gn .243 on alot of deer both roe and fallow, im pretty sure from memory all dropped to shot.

the fallow were great and all chest shots had clean entry holes and the chest cavity was devastated.

some roe had messy entry wounds the occasional one would exit.

they were so accurate i never had a problem using them.

I even tried 110gn v-max in the 30.06 AI, only on fallow, chest shots had a cleanish entry,no exit and the entire chest cavity was turned to soup. high neck shots didn't leave you much to cut off.

Well guys I`ve never shot a deer yet with a `varmint` type bullet so in the interest of furthering my experiences I may try to lug or neck shoot one, currently I am using 75gr V.Max which has a very tight group at 100yds.

Got 3 shots and 3 dead Carrions today.

HWH.

HWH,

Give them a try, you'll be pleseantly surprised. They are in my experiance a great round for woodland stalks as the biest's all drop on the spot. Never to my memory have i had one run, not ever 5 feet. Like i say ideal for woodland.

Adam

I would agree with Adam. I've used V Max bullets on Roe for years with excellent results. There is no exit wound, so minimal meat damage albeit devastating to the internal organs. I have never seen any evidence of blow up's/surface wounds on impact with the flesh.

Archived