Good .357 load for Lever action rifle for long range

clivej

I was at the Phoenix meeting this year and after shooting in the Sporting Rifle comp. with my Sako 75 in .308 (got a silver medal place) I want to shoot more in the long range comps. next year with both my Marlin 1894 .38spl/357mag and 10/22

I'm looking for a good accurate .375 load and bullet head choice for longer range target shooting with my Marlin 1894 rifle.

I have Viht N320, N340 and GM3 powder and CCI or Federal pistol primers.

The load must be good over distances 100, 200, and 300 meters.

I don't have any bullet heads so that's a requirement as what to use.

Any good recipes lads????

There are few good bullets for a .357 rifle that will stretch to 300m without tossing out a drag shute from that low BC. I would stick to 158 - 160-170 grain in something that has a decent profile and work with it. I shot 200M Handgun Silhouette where the target was a life-sized cut out of a ram sheep. The trajectory with standard semi-wadcutter designs was challenging from a handgun.

For powder, nowadays, I would look to Hodgdon " Lil Gun". I have been experimenting with it in an 8.375" S&W Model 27 and it is superb. Flat, fast, with low pressures. Hodgdon is getting almost 1600 fps with a 170 grain bullet from a 10" barreled handgun. I haven't chronographed my Hornday 158 grain XTP's but they are flat shooting at handgun hunting distances. (to 100M) I think it will be the powder of choice when I load for my .357 carbine as well.~Andrew

Archived