SLS 3D printing of suppressors

Hi Guys ,

You may know already that a Kiwi company called " Oceania Defence " is making cans using a Selective Laser Sintering 3D printer , basically builds a layer at a time out of Ti powder and is melted into metal with a computer controlled laser .

As such it can make complex designs that simply cannot be made with machining techniiques .

At the moment they have 3 223cal models & 1 308cal model , these are being run on AR15/AR10 & G3 rifles at present .

As far as I know , they can use , SS , tool steel & Ti powder at the moment , powder that is not melted , is reused .

I have seen the can and it looks like a large dia Reflex design at the moment , approx 2x6 inches .

I hope they move on to cans for bolt action rifles as well , would like a Big Ti can for my 338LM , and a Ti can for my 300BLK bolt gun as well .

Will keep you guys informed .

Later Chris

Are the sintered metal as strong as traditionally produced steels ?

Interesting concept for sure...

The old way of sintered metal , ie heating powdered metal , was considered weaker than tradition methods , I am not sure about this new way .

You would like to think its good & well thought out , as the cost of the SLS machine is approx 1 mil NZD & to fill one tub of powdered Ti is about 400k NZD .

If you do a search for laser sintering etc , you will see a company use powdered tool steel for a complex injection mold , they print IT , and then do a heat treat , and hand polish and its done .

Its promoted as a quick single prototyping technque , rather than a rapid mass production technque if that makes sense .

So if you can think/imagine IT , no matter how complex and impossible to machine make using old methods , and design it in CAD , then the SLS machine just does it .

I am interested in it at the moment , as its the ONLY Ti made can made locally inside New Zealand , and as I live in NZ , thats handy .

Later Chris

Things are moving on a pace in high level engineering manufacturing, todays methods will likely look like stone age man napping flint with a bit of antler in 100 years if things carry on

the things they can "print" is amazing someones building a printer to do a house. Like Kent says technology moves on its not that long since 5 axis cnc was the new thing. How long before its rifles they are printing?

the things they can "print" is amazing someones building a printer to do a house. Like Kent says technology moves on its not that long since 5 axis cnc was the new thing. How long before its rifles they are printing?

The standards that can be achieved are already becoming evident in the world of English shotguns today. Better kit is already available its only the cost that is holding things back

Someone has already published the blue print for a printable hand gun. The US state department asked them to remove the informtion from the web.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/09/state-department-demands-takedown-of-3d-printable-gun-for-possible-export-control-violation/

Kev

Archived